🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A game as Minor Project (University)

Started by
6 comments, last by GeneralJist 5 years, 2 months ago

Hello Everyone, Currently i am pursuing Bachelor of Engineering with Computer Science and Engineering branch.

I have acknowledged my faculties that i am gonna submit a game prototype as my minor project.

So my questions are

1) will it be ok to submit a game prototype as minor project? Concerning i have to face campus selection after six months.

Because working on it takes my lot of time, and i think it will be my only project till then.

(Do i wanna get selected in those companies? Yes because there is no game industries that take people without work

experience.(Programming and DBMS))

2) will they(companies which i am gonna face) consider this project as one of their interest? Because i know there will

be no companies which is related to game development coming to my institute.(Because there are only few in India

none of them are AAA).

3) Do anyone want to share their own experience how they gotten to game development industries?

Its been 4 years me in c++ (including school learning). All i have been doing is how to render,what are the concepts.

On the basis of that i have built a very simple engine (not so optimized) capable of drawing any imported scene from 3d

tool with basic lighting(ADS). After that integrated bullet physics and built a very good camera class for both RTS and TPP views.

LIBRARIES: glm,bullet,assimp,Freeimage and glew.

I still struggle in some oop concepts(implementation only) because all i have concentrated on building the game and now i

realize  its a mess(my project).

Actual time taken: i have worked for three days like in each fifteen days in those four years.

NOTE: i should have picked a game engine, but its like i couldn't, i got specs now. And at that time also thought that it would

also give me experience in programming And it payed off because i love doing programming now for different logic.

Advertisement

Thank you very much sir, 

i haven't made any portfolio yet but i guess i have to make it.

11 hours ago, Uttam Kushwah said:

2) will they(companies which i am gonna face) consider this project as one of their interest?

It's not clear what you mean by "one of their interest." If you mean "will they offer to fund further development and publish it," then no. Yes, there have been exceptions like Flow. If you mean "will they hire me based on it," then no. Student projects are generally not enough for a portfolio. But student projects come in a wide range of completeness and quality and creativeness. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

12 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

"will they hire me based on it,"

Exactly this i meant, will a game project be ok to showcase my programming skills when facing a non game related software industry? 

2 hours ago, Uttam Kushwah said:

will a game project be ok to showcase my programming skills

2 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Student projects are generally not enough for a portfolio. But student projects come in a wide range of completeness and quality and creativeness. 

Work on more projects after you graduate. Make solo stuff and make team stuff. You need more than one student project in your portfolio.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You don't compete in a vacuum.  Employers interview lots of people.

If one person has a single, mostly-working student project that shows of what they can do, and another has three completed polished projects from game jams, they will look quite different as prospective workers.

Even so, demos and personal projects don't guarantee anything. Some people find game programming jobs without having completed any other projects, some people try but cannot find the jobs. Some people have multiple high-quality projects but struggle to find jobs, others have multiple companies begging them to work with them.

There are so many variables, and nothing will guarantee you a job. Even if you have a great portfolio that showcases skills in three areas, the company may be looking for a different skill set. The more stuff you have in a portfolio, and the higher quality it is, the easier time you will have breaking in to the industry, and the better you can negotiate your wages and benefits.

1. It's not in our power to determine what is acceptable for your minor project. 

if however, your asking IF you should use a game as your minor project, vs, a straight engineering   project, I'd say no. 

Mainly because your going for an engineering degree, and they need to know how to grade your work. How are engineering faculty meant to grade a non engineering project?

Making a game is nice and all, but it;s usually not gradable, unless your in a program that is specific to games.

2. No, or most likely not. . 

Companies aren't usually impressed with student projects.  Hanging your entire future on this one game project is a bad idea. 

You'll need faculty support if you really want to do a game for your minor project, and given the state of  educational system,your not likely to get it. 

3.I'm not really in the industry officially, since I'm not making money, so ya... 

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement