🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

network engineer

Started by
8 comments, last by duke_meister 5 years, 3 months ago

I am reading a book on CCENT CCNA ICND1 100-105. I know this has nothing to do with game programming. I just wanted to get some feedback on  a  possible career change. I am just not that good at programming.

Advertisement

Not sure what feedback you're looking for.

Are you comfortable with running cables? Are you comfortable discussing network configurations and hardware?  Do you understand what is meant by routers, hubs, switches, gateways, bridges, repeaters, and access points?

Cisco's certification is specific for Cisco hardware. So not only do they require understanding all the network gear, but also their specific network gear and their configurations.

The certification is okay if you're working specifically with Cisco equipment, but if you're working with a variety of brands, like Juniper or Nortel or any of the other brands, Cisco certification is not enough by itself.

It can be a good career path, especially if you love working with networking hardware.  

Agreed with the above -- it can be a good career path if it's something that interests you and if you have an aptitude for it, but you won't find the Cisco certification particularly easy.  It involves remembering a lot of details and non-trivial practical testing.

- Jason Astle-Adams

well I have read  several chapters and it looks very interesting and familiar.

The books are easy to read.  The tests, however, require knowing all the details of the configuration.  Most people I know who got the certification were already working with the equipment every day.  

Network hardware administration requires a love for computers generally, and lots of knowledge and hands-on practice.  Cisco certification requires a lot of expensive equipment relatively few people have access to, and then memorizing all the details of that expensive hardware.

I've heard many horror stories about the Cisco tests, at the higher levels they essentially require pure memorization of every Cisco-specific detail of the hardware.They are not for people who have only a mild interest in networking, or who have knowledge about the hardware in general. They require knowing the details of a specific brand of equipment, how that specific brand is configured differently between models, and all the most recent details of vendor-specific configuration tools that are constantly changing.  I've known several networking experts who took the higher-level tests and struggled with them because they didn't know certain Cisco-specific elements.

I am brushing up on my A+ certification.

A+ certification might get you a job at a call center or at a computer repair shop.  But most likely entry level job at best, experience would be more important.  But A+ likely won't get you into networking.  Look for job postings in your area for Cisco based requirements, if there are quite a few then you're golden if you can memorize basically the whole book or books as that is what Cisco certifications are as @frob pointed out and from personal experience.  I had my CCNA certification (along with my MCSE) years ago and it was just pure memorization.  Both of those got me a job as a junior network admin/IT tech for an ISP.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

CCNA by itself just assures your employer you aren't a numpty. Cisco were early on the bandwagon for certification streams and 10 years ago it was assurety of networking competence because there weren't many alternatives. These days not so much but will get you across the line if you are up against other job candidates that don't have certification. Most router brands like Juniper, HP, Dell etc are pretty similar at a basic level so I'd be happy to take on a CCNA as a level 1 assistant to support HP or Dell gear etc. CCNA isn't enough for a lone wolf network engineer. CompTIA is pretty much beginner only (a cake walk compared to Cisco stream). A resume that only had A+, Network+, Security+ etc would worry me even for level 1. 

I have worked with colleagues who are CCNA and found them to be pretty ignorant but they got their certification via a diploma so may have got some kind of easy pathway. I rocked up for CCNA exams and found them difficult even though I have been programming routers for decades. If you buy an online test exam and do it by rote you should be ok. CCNP was like a sporting event for me, I bought a router lab and trained every day for weeks before the exams. I wouldn't go beyond CCNP unless you're top of the food chain in a Cisco shop (or its paid for by your employer), better off getting a Diploma or degree first.

On 3/3/2019 at 2:16 PM, phil67rpg said:

feedback on  a  possible career change

What is your current career?

Developer since 1994. Programming since '80. Still like it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement