🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Software Engineer or Graphic Design major?

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 5 years, 3 months ago

TL;DR: Should I switch to Graphic Design major (for indie dev/career fallback)? I probably need to convince my family 'cause they're funding my education.

Context:

• Software Engineer major - 1st semester
  • I've made over dozen of jam games
  • I plan on joining game jams/game dev compeition on a monthly basis
  • While doing longer-term HTML5-game projects for release (for the first time)

Future plans:

• I wanna go full-time indie after graduation (3-year program)
  • I'm not in a first world country so that would be easier (200$ per month for rent and food)
  • My family wants me to work in corporates while I only think of that as a fallback option

Friends:

• A Graphic Design major friend suggested that I switched major
    • He said: "game companies prefer graphic designers who can code over software engineer who can do art"
  • Some older friend of mine in the uni said if I could made video games then I code better than most older students
    • They probably don't understand anything at all or have no finished products

Majors:

• I see game development is more than just coding: gameplay, art, story, sounds, music and more...
  • Graphic Design offers Drawing Still-life/Statue, Perspective, Human Anatomy, Photography, Typography, Art History, Storyboarding, 3D Modeling & Texturing (Maya), Rigging, 3D Character Animation, UX, Web Design. (Not exhausive)
  • While Software Engineering offers Computer Science, C (the language), Maths, Front-end Web Dev, OOP, Databases, Operating Systems, Japanese (Yep), Java (Desktop, OOP, Web-Based), Data Structures and Algorithms, Networking, Software Engineering Introduction, .NET and C#, Software Requirement and Testing, Start Your Business, Human-Computer Interaction, Mobile Programming. (Again not exhausive)
  • I just typed that out for the first time and I can see that:
    • So many things in Software Engineering that I'm not sure if they're needed for gamedev (Java, C, .NET and C#,...)
    • While Graphic Design has so many overlapping with game development
Advertisement

To make an important decision, start by thinking about the pluses and minuses of each option. Do further research on those factors, and you'll find more factors. Then you can make sense of it all with a decision grid

As for the "my parents are willing to pay for it" factor, that's just one factor to consider. Maybe highly weighted, but it's not the only factor. That said, some parents are harder to convince than others.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement