🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Appropriate questions to ask in interview

Started by
13 comments, last by frob 5 years, 4 months ago

Hi guys, I'm a little nervous about this interview that I'm about to go for next week, and I'm planning questions to ask to the employer.  I'm not sure if those questions are spot on or offensive?

While watching how the game works online, I came up with a few questions:

1. I can see that drawing a line from ship to landing spot was done using a line renderer component, but did you also use a Navigation component to make the ships follow the line  to the landing spot?
  2. I've also noticed that the line drawn gradually changes to their respective colors.  Is there some error checking that happens during that time frame to make sure the color of the ship matches the color of the landing spot?

I'm applying for LootKit Studios interview, and they have this game already established for the PC called Cosmic Control.  They are looking for an Unity developer.  I'm trying to ask questions regarding how their game works.  Would it back fire on me in some way or does it show that I'm interested in the project?

Advertisement

I wouldn't ask questions about a game that was already released. Do you even know if the person(s) interviewing you would know how that game was designed/developed?

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Well the guy interviewing me is the founder and developer himself of the game.  So you're saying that it would reflect negatively on my part if I start questioning his design practices? My intention was to show how much I know in a form of a question.  Man glad I asked before hand.

As I understand it, @fleabay says that the person doing the interview may not know that particular detail at all. If you have N persons working on a game, it's quite fair to say that anyone has deep knowledge about 1/N part of the game (as a pessimistic estimate), ie (N-1)/N part of the game, the person knows less to nothing about.

3 hours ago, IrfanZ said:

So you're saying that it would reflect negatively on my part if I start questioning his design practices?

No, I'm saying it's most likely irrelevant to whatever is planned next. I would show interest in knowing more about what they are working on now.  The guy you say will be interviewing you is looking to the future. He wants to go forward not dwell on the past.

If you haven't seen it...

https://lootkitstudios.wordpress.com/2019/02/09/so-whats-ahead/

I think the question shows you're eager to learn. And you've looked at the employer's product with a critical eye.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

20 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

And you've looked at the employer's product with a critical eye.

I wouldn't recommend that. :D

I'll hide this comment very soon. Please don't quote that.

Don't ask anything, you are not in position to do so, it is silly.

Reply with that foundation if oportunity comes.

Hi Fleabay, I understand what you're talking about now, it makes sense now.  Thanks.  This not only applies to this interview but others as well.

12 hours ago, IrfanZ said:

My intention was to show how much I know in a form of a question. 

I'm sorry, but... what?  What does this even mean?

The point of asking questions to an interviewer is for you to get information that can help you make a decision about whether you want to work there.  Those two questions you posted above are pretty much completely pointless.  Not only might the interviewer not even know the details of those things, but it tells you absolutely nothing about the company, the team, the person you're talking to, or anything else that's of any use to you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement