Advertisement

Fire Emblem-esque JRPG project, still recruiting!

Started by January 10, 2019 10:46 PM
1 comment, last by Meta_Cron 5 years, 8 months ago

Hi! I and my brother have assembled a small team of seven who are working on a weekend-hobby project of ours. Originating from ideas about a Fire Emblem board game, we've decided to create a video game that pays homage to early Fire Emblem and Advance Wars entries as a tactical, turn-based strategy game that will have a single player campaign but will also include online multiplayer at its core, with well-thought-out balancing, unlike titles whose online multiplayer systems were jury-rigged by third parties (online Advanced Wars mods) or destroyed by additional layers of DLC (Fire Emblem: Fates, looking at you). Trading items/characters with other players, challenging each other on mildly-customizable maps, and several game modes are a few anticipated features.

Currently, this will be a labor of love type of project, with monetization being a distant end-goal. The holy grail would include physical collectibles such as trading cards with QR codes that can be scanned for in-game items.

What we have, talent-wise:

• Storywriting, Lore, and Character background writing

• Level Design

• Experience in Unity, Unreal Engine 4, Constructor 2, C, C#, and C++, and other general programming knowledge (UI design, debugging, QA, etc)

• Artwork (splash artists, pixel art)

Our biggest issue is that, although we have two amazing artists (one who focuses on animated pixel art, the other focusing on portrait and splash art), we don't have enough of them! This game requires a lot of artwork, as it's the nature of the beast to have a large number of unique characters. It's unfair to expect only one artist to do it all, so the more help, the better! We won't turn down any help from writers, musicians, or programmers who are interested in working on a Unity-based project, though, so we're glad to take any help we can get from any background. Feel free to leave a comment here or send me a PM and I'll be happy to give you a link to our Discord, where I can give you the full rundown on what we have so far, and what you could help with.

Thanks!

David A.

Greetings!
I'm Bernd pretty much a solo developer until now using C# and Monogame, I managed to create a 2D game engine from scratch and started an unfinished project called "Aeon's Dawn" exactly the type of JRPG game that you described with this post.
https://teamantmountain.itch.io/aeons-dawn

The reason this project/game never finished is that it was just too big for me alone. I'm a programmer and puzzle solver in heart and soul, I was working with a small team of several artist but as they moved on to other projects I saw no way for me to finish it up. I have no regrets leaving the project behind, I learned oh so much from it.

I really would like to work in a team again, I have some personal experiences with leading/being part of one and the responsibilities that come with being in one. I'm very strict on deadlines and keeping anyone equally informed if they desire to be so. Sadly I have no real experience using Unity (aside from the opening it up and having a look at the insides and it's API). But I have confidence that I can manage to adapt.

Let's skip the walls of texts and sum some things up:

• Years of C# experience
  • Experience with optimizing game's performance, graphically (basic HLSL) and internally (worked with infinite maps before)
  • Creating an interface for outside modding using LUA
  • Experience working in a team

Some limitations:
Currently I'm pursuing a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, overall my free time is plentiful, but I can't guarantee 40 hours work per week.

I'm really really really looking forward to contributing to a team effort again. I want to be challenged once more, this project seems great.

EDIT: Sorry I might have not made it clear enough, I'm looking for a project to work on in my free time. I'm not immediately looking for monetary compensation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement