🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Design from Hell

Started by
0 comments, last by NikitaSadkov 5 years, 6 months ago

So it is the year 2004. I've finally got Baldur's Gate II copy, but it isn't working, due to the bug in the botched pirate translation, and it was impossible to get untranslated original English version in Russia, because Russian pirates hacked and translated all games into Russian, usually including speech, sometimes using automatic translation tool, and always blindly, without testing how it would look and sound in the game. So yeah, Baldur's Gate segfaulted past the first few areas, that pirates have tested after their botched translation, while I learned a lesson that piracy is bad, and instead had to play Evil Islands (or Allods 3, as it is know in Russia). Evil Islands was in originally in Russian, as it is a Russian game, it was somewhat working, albeit very glitchy and unoptimized (framerate was jumping from 5 to 20 FPS), and it was an ugly experience, pretty much summarized by the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOCtp94TRSI

If you're designing an RPG, you can get a lot of insight on what makes bad RPG from the above let's play video.  In a nutshell, Russian game designers failed to properly balance monsters and playtest their garbage. It had less polish than modern asset swapped indie games. I got childhood trauma from that. [REMOVED]

BTW, two previous Allods games (sold as Rage of Mages in the west) weren't much better. Basically they were Warcraft 2 clones with ugly graphics and without base buildings. Allods 4 (Allods Online) was an outright blatant World of Warcraft clone with worse everything. Now tell me that I have no right to hate Russians.

Do you have any stories about the game design you hate? Like absolute worst in its genre?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement