🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New Update To 3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense.

Started by
11 comments, last by TheCyberFlash 5 years, 7 months ago

I have been working on a tower defense game and I previously published a prototype/beta type thing to gamejolt. Gathered some feedback and have since been working on making it better. Hopefully making it more fun! 

unknown.png?width=802&height=676

3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense. A simple militant styled, tower defense game, there is only one map, and thus a limited space for towers. In the initial release, once you place a turret, that is it, you can not move or delete it. In a later update this may change, but where you strategically place your turrets, and which ones you place, will determine how long you survive. The goal is simple. Let not one enemy of the endless waves breach the sanctity of your home base of operations, your HQ. How long can you defend against the countless troops that threaten you?

I only have it published on Gamejolt so not to go too crazy on marketplaces but maybe that's the wrong strategy.. Anyway if you would like to try it please check here.

I have listed in under the gamedev projects section and have been trying to keep 'regular' updates on the blog section.

If you do try it out, please do let me know what you think. Thank you and good day!

Check out my game '3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense' A simple militant styled, tower defense game.

GameDev.Net Project Page

Advertisement

Hey! :) I played over 20 waves this morning and I'm loving your game! :) Nice work!!!

So far I've mostly only built missiles. :D

Apart from all the great things, I do have some suggestions personally. :)

- I would like to have the option to start the new wave regardless of the current one being done or not

- I noticed you can place walls on top of each other. I think if walls have a certain amount of damage they can block, put a health bar, and if a player is going to place a wall over top of an existing once show a repair icon, but don't allow undamaged walls to be built over.

- If an enemy dies from the wall I never see any money? This could be balanced better.

The only bug I noticed was on 2 waves my missile towers were firing at the tanks but nothing was taking damage. Next time I play I'll put on my video recorder to see if it helps you with the problem.

Just a pet peeve of mine, why oh why is there an installer for this? :D I honestly dread installers unless you're talking about a game with a ton of files. :D 

Programmer and 3D Artist

Thank you for trying it out! :D 

The installer bit, I'm not sure how else I would give people the game? I've basically just exported it from Game Maker and then I zip it upload it. Just cuz it wasn't setup to be a html game or anything so download was my only option :/ . (Would there be a better way to do it ? I'd prefer to not make people install something if not necessary)

I'd have to mess more with the missiles to figure that out :/. Would the missile 'destroy' itself or fly right through the enemies?

I kind of maybe forgot to give you money for the walls! I had decided not to do it initially but then changed my mind and forgot! ? Will fix that! 

You're not supposed to be able to place walls on top of each other. So i'm calling that a bug too :P I probably did the collision wrong BUT I do like the idea of stacking walls and buffing the strength of them. 

I wasn't sure about starting waves during a current wave but I'll add it! It won't be automatic so its totally player choice :)

Thank you again! :):D 

Check out my game '3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense' A simple militant styled, tower defense game.

GameDev.Net Project Page

I'll have to look into it more regarding the missile towers.

With the walls I can keep building on-top and my money keeps draining... lol :D

Let me know when you have another release. Great job man!

Programmer and 3D Artist

2 minutes ago, Rutin said:

Let me know when you have another release. Great job man!

Thank you! And I definitely will :):) 

GameDev.Net Project Page

I liked it too, worked fine under wine, but would second preferring not to have an installer particularly for something that we might be trying multiple versions. You could put the installer version on gamejolt and just a zip file on gamedev maybe?

I liked the upgrades but the flame gun didn't seem very good at hitting enemies so I ended up using mostly 1st type of gun. To me the map design is perhaps the bit most open to improvement, you could maybe have some themed maps, and maybe areas of them that contain naturally slower zones to make it more crucial where you build, water zones maybe, etc.

I only made it to level 10 I think. :) 

3 minutes ago, lawnjelly said:

You could put the installer version on gamejolt and just a zip file on gamedev maybe?

This might sound dumb but what's the difference here? Is it possible for me to 'install' the game and then zip the end results or something? I don't want to annoy people or put them off with installers I just thought that was how it was all done lol. I'm going to check how to give out the game so its better. 

The idea behind the flame gun was originally a flamethrower but then was unable to get the flame so its now like a 'fireball' type bullet where it'll pass through enemies, If its a bad idea I'll look at changing it but it works really well on corners ;) I might need to do something else for this.

I've 'new maps' on my to-do list, Going to really try and get them sorted asap :D

Thank you for trying it out! :) 

I figured it out! Sorry. I didn't realize I had multiple export options beyond the current export options! I found how to do it just zipped without an installer! My bad :P Thanks you for bringing it up! It should just run without installation. 

GameDev.Net Project Page

*OR (installer vs .zip)

Configure the game/installer to use proper versioning and to correctly upgrade/replace previous installs.  Then you only have to maintain one delivery method. ;)  And testers don't need to worry about multiple copies munging up their file system.

Just a thought, everybody has their preferred methodology.

4 minutes ago, Septopus said:

Configure the game/installer to use proper versioning and to correctly upgrade/replace previous installs.

This! I am going to check how to do this. Sorry! I didn't realize this side of things :/

GameDev.Net Project Page

50 minutes ago, lawnjelly said:

I only made it to level 10 I think. :) 

Only level 10! Slacker! :D 

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement