🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Would anybody like to try my game?

Started by
14 comments, last by TheCyberFlash 5 years, 7 months ago

Howdy, me again! - obviously dunno why I said that... 

I had a quick question, At which wave (if you can remember) did you 'finish' placing towers. Like completely filled the maps and no longer had anything to do?

I'm doing tests of when I would 'lose' the player vs when the first breach is.. Like at the moment (I've adjusted enemyHP on my version) you can get to Wave 22 and then you've placed all basic towers.. First breach isn't until Wave 38 so for Waves 22 - 38 the player has 'nothing' to do. Even if they Could upgrade and swap towers around, they don't need to for a while.. So i'm trying to work out that kind of balancing too.. Going to cap enemy speed because with the basic towers the bullets are just criss crossing behind enemies until they hit a corner then they might take some damage lol.. But yeah sorry could you remember when you run out of things to do?

Check out my game '3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense' A simple militant styled, tower defense game.

GameDev.Net Project Page

Advertisement

After it started letting loose around 20ish, I pretty much had to place them steadily until about 30 or 40(I don't remember exactly) but there was a bubble in there where the play was pretty steady until I ran out of room for towers.  Then it was just waiting to see which fast enemy could luckily dodge all the crossfire. ;)  Which was kinda fun, to watch.

Looking back, I also kind of felt like the towers spent more time aiming than shooting sometimes, especially on the initial shot after acquiring the target.  It felt like they were pointing right at the target but waiting a few moments to shoot.  Like the "between shot" delay was being enforced on the first shot?  Dunno, might be remembering wrong too.  I think your "nothing to do" bubble will entirely disappear if you give the enemies some basic bullets to slowly destroy towers.  This in effect, would also give the player a chance to change their mind about tower placement without you programming the option to replace them. :D  Two birds and all that...

Its funny you mention the between shot delay.. I actually was thinking about that earlier. I setup a 'reload speed' so towers didn't just blam blam blammmmmmmmmmm for days but 1 Tower has 1 second cooldown, other 2 Towers have 1.5 second cooldown which well in a game like this is probably a bit too long... Going to lower the limit/delay to maybe 1/4 second or 1/2 second - can't get rid of it(Otherwise if an enemy is in range it'd just keep firing till it goes away).

This shooting Towers idea is interesting, I'm not sure how often I'd have them shoot though maybe 1 second would be better for these -- I am thinking of adding in 'bosses', the idea behind those would be they'd have a low spawn rate per wave so there's not definite boss wave but then they'd maybe have 10x the hp as enemies of the current wave (if not more hp) and these could maybe blast the towers? So the nothing to do bubble in theory would randomly get fixed across different waves.. Boss could technically turn up on Wave 1 though so would need like Wave > 10 type deal so not to be too mean to players.. 

Check out my game '3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense' A simple militant styled, tower defense game.

GameDev.Net Project Page

Sounds great!  Make it happen! :D

G'day! I've made 'some' changes so far. Currently have Version 0.1.5. The main thing I'm looking for testing now would be the enemy speed, damage, range of towers (you know basically the math stuff!).

I've got a 1.0.0 update planned which will bring a really cool new visual style to the game and I was hoping to iron out some more math stuff then. After the asset change I am planning on introducing the Upgrade System with Sound Effects (I think I found a guy to work on those so fingers crossed!) as well as the leaderboard/score system + Ability to remove Towers.

The upgrade system may or may not upset the Maths but I'm hoping that latest bits of feedback might say Its a bit difficult to survive for long now.. Maybe which is what develops the need for Upgrade System so I am hoping that will go side by side.. Assuming the math is good now.  

Once I've got that all settled I plan to cause havoc to the system and roll out bosses and a 'trap' type unit to place. Bosses will have the ability to destroy towers.. Low spawn rate -- random so can't be planned, must be above wave 10 (or something) and then I'll need to figure out how easily it destroys a tower.. Maybe it knocks it down an upgrade level... If at base level, destroy tower kinda thing.. Might seem to be too easy to just upgrade a tower again and again at level 1 to prevent destructions but I forgot to mention the money got nerfed too so you won't be rolling in the dollar.. This might be too harsh and need increasing again (Or varying money based on actual enemy or something like that... 

The link for the game remains the same I suppose it is going to always be the same for this (I thought different versions might change url but it doesn't..) I'm also trying to keep notes on updates and changes like this, from 0.1.4 I've been writing a more in depth explanation for them too.. And that be my weekends progress so far! Back to real life work tomorrow :P I am hoping/aiming for the new assets ready by next weekend and that'll keep me busy again then. I may have put my plans in the wrong order because technically could be looking into upgrades now but I was thinking of trying to 'balance'ish the base stats before adding to them but yano!

I hope everyone had a cool weekend and I'll appreciate anyone wanting to test out the update :) Thank you! :) Have a good week ahead!

GameDev.Net Project Page

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement