🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Pirate game need feedback!

Started by
12 comments, last by suliman 5 years, 7 months ago

Hi!

New version out! Lots of balancing, new towns, new flotsams, ironed out lots of small issues, easier to level up and gain wealth.

I'd love some feedback! Game is free to download here:

https://ehgames.itch.io/plunder-horizon

Advertisement

Noone?

In general, i find it REALLY hard to get feedback. I make games as a hobby but find it hard to get any feedback/testing. Without that it's hard to keep motivated and inspired as you are pretty isolated without feedback. Note i dont plan to sell these games, neither do I offer payment to anyone.

I've tried these communities:

• Here (post in announcements)
  • Facebook group "gamedev show and test".
  • The game is on itch.io 

I get none or very little feedback when I try to get some. Any tips on good commmunities where you find people that like to try out indie games? Or how do you do it?
(it's 2d games, like strategy, rpg, survival etc).

Thanks!
Erik

Hey there! 

I'm fairly new around here and I struggled to find posts from people asking for feedback. Only just found the 'your annoucements' bit (I posted something in a different area and must have been moved here) maybe that's issue with struggle to getting feedback?

I've used gamejolt to post my game and I can see that majority of my views are coming from Reddit BUT 2nd is gamedev.net so 'something' definitely worked... Just can't say what lol. I would probably try other facebook groups than just one, I dunno how populated that one is that you've used. There's also the discord server for gamedev.net too The permanent invite link to this server is: https://discord.gg/nxAZMPU You might find some people instantly on there (They might give a better answer as to where to look if you asked in #lounge or even #games ?)

Anyway just wanted to say I was going to check out your game and like share my opinion and stuff :D

Check out my game '3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense' A simple militant styled, tower defense game.

GameDev.Net Project Page

I don't know the format for feedback, if should just post as comment directly or not so I've made a google doc, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qLIwve2Xyes8zeLJyyB7pZD5YEDQGJHhr30V1OuekZI/edit?usp=sharing

I think this game is cool but i'm unable to get back into it to play it after game over. Will exit and restart and try again. I survived for like 3 fights and then a land battle got me. I think I wasn't actually looting the food or something cuz locals wanted food and I thought i'd collected it from my ship fights but had only 1 so it wouldn't share :P ooops. Very fun game though!

Check out my game '3NDL3ZZ: Base Defense' A simple militant styled, tower defense game.

GameDev.Net Project Page

Awesome! I'll look into your comments and impressions :)

On 11/8/2018 at 1:53 AM, suliman said:

Noone?

In general, i find it REALLY hard to get feedback. I make games as a hobby but find it hard to get any feedback/testing. Without that it's hard to keep motivated and inspired as you are pretty isolated without feedback. Note i dont plan to sell these games, neither do I offer payment to anyone.

I've tried these communities:

• Here (post in announcements)
  • Facebook group "gamedev show and test".
  • The game is on itch.io 

I get none or very little feedback when I try to get some. Any tips on good commmunities where you find people that like to try out indie games? Or how do you do it?
(it's 2d games, like strategy, rpg, survival etc).

Thanks!
Erik

I didn't even notice your post until now. ;) If you want me to check out new releases feel free to PM me anytime. I'll play your update this weekend! Glad you're still working on it.

Programmer and 3D Artist

I uploaded a new version (alpha 5b).

• Fixed that savegame bug you found (thanks!)
  • Removed the risk of land ambushes until the player levels up at least one skill

There is no minimap on the map (no room and i think not much need either). In ship combat there is a minimap in the left-side panel (showing you friendly and enemy ships).
Do you think a warning of too strong opponent is needed? After testing it once i dont think player will jump into any strength opponent engagements :)

Keep em coming!

I think my thing with mini-map is more just adjusting gameplay styles.. I spend a lot of time playing Destiny 2 then go to Dark Souls 3 and for a little bit I'm just edging for a minimap radar lol I'll get used to it. Compass works nicely though so there's at least that which I mean at sea.. That's all you get anyway lol

I'll go test some more and drop some notes! Game is mighty fine already though! :)

GameDev.Net Project Page

If you do put a mini-map, you can always just have an arrow toggle or something on the side which expands it into view. :) Would be a nice option.

Programmer and 3D Artist

On 11/10/2018 at 3:05 AM, suliman said:

I uploaded a new version (alpha 5b).

• Fixed that savegame bug you found (thanks!)
  • Removed the risk of land ambushes until the player levels up at least one skill

There is no minimap on the map (no room and i think not much need either). In ship combat there is a minimap in the left-side panel (showing you friendly and enemy ships).
Do you think a warning of too strong opponent is needed? After testing it once i dont think player will jump into any strength opponent engagements :)

Keep em coming!

Played some more, had a lot of fun. :) Still some bugs with freezing when navigating menus in ports. Then when reloading saved games all my stuff was messed up after the crash. :(

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement