🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which artstyle works best? (3 versions of world-map)

Started by
7 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 8 months ago

Making a turnbased strategy game/empire builder. Whcih looks best to you?

Style 1 (natural borders)
Style 2 (straight borders (abstract map))
Style 3 (satellite photo) (this one looks nice but harder to fit with sprites, ui elements and icons that are abstracted)

style1.thumb.jpg.23d0742b363898b80b7fdff6cb614931.jpgstyle2.thumb.jpg.3629086c44d2d70e5f4578c79db0baef.jpgstyle3.thumb.jpg.8456d1547c879c82250cf34954f357a6.jpg

Advertisement

Depends: are you going for a more vector graphic type interface, like DEFCON? Then the first two are pretty good.

If you're building something like Civs, then the last one is definitely better.

Based on the info you posted though, I would think the 3rd works better, since the first two really give me a DEFCON style vector graphics vibe. It doesn't feel like "empire builder" to me.

I'd like to hear more about the game itself though. 

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

It's a "total war" kind of game. You manage the regions, set taxes, build stuff, train armies. Move armies around and when encountering enemy armies (you move one region at a time, like in Risk) there is a realtime (simplified) battle view where the units fight.

It's a mix between simulator feel and boardgame feel. Yes the first 2 styles is similar to defcon for sure, but that is a nice style:)

2 hours ago, suliman said:

It's a "total war" kind of game. You manage the regions, set taxes, build stuff, train armies. Move armies around and when encountering enemy armies (you move one region at a time, like in Risk) there is a realtime (simplified) battle view where the units fight.

Well, do you want to go with the feel of using one of those old computers with the vector graphics on it? It could work, but you'd have to fully embrace that feeling. So everything would have to have an old school vibe in the interface. I'd refer to DEFCON if that's the case.

Otherwise, I think that the more traditional option would be the third one.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Why not keep all styles and just use a toggle so players and decide? Games like EU4 have different map overlays.

Programmer and 3D Artist

7 hours ago, Rutin said:

Why not keep all styles and just use a toggle so players and decide?

I think it will be hard to keep concistancy with other assests, such as UI, units, buildings, all icons etc. As delta said, style should be throrough.

I don't like the first one.  The borders don't look natural at all.  If you're going to with a low-res approximation of the borders, own up to it and go with option 2 instead.

Option 3 looks the best.  Since you haven't posted any sprites, I can't tell how well it will work with your sprites.

5 hours ago, suliman said:

I think it will be hard to keep concistancy with other assests, such as UI, units, buildings, all icons etc. As delta said, style should be throrough.

Oh okay. :) Then I would pick the 3rd one as my favorite. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement