🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Plunder Horizon - new version of my pirate game!

Started by
7 comments, last by Septopus 5 years, 8 months ago

My adventure game in the vains of Pirates! is out with a new version (and i'd love some feedback). You can own up to 5 ships and run missions for the europeans, rank up, find treasure, lost cities and loads of other fun stuff:)

Free to download at:

https://ehgames.itch.io/plunder-horizon

Trailer:

screen0.thumb.png.32f860340a23ef202198c623c4be6916.pngscreen4.thumb.png.ea2eb534bfcbeb302cd5407d53598a5c.pngscreen3.thumb.png.91e389a1de1ecbf7b00b0ef739435874.pngscreen2.thumb.png.cfef8fff67b8188e250b26b035d342e8.png

Advertisement

Noone? Id like to know your thoughts about game balance, if ship-to-ship combat is too hard, if the quests are working properly for you etc.
Or simply how I can make the game more fun! :)

Thank you!

25 minutes ago, suliman said:

Noone? Id like to know your thoughts about game balance, if ship-to-ship combat is too hard, if the quests are working properly for you etc.
Or simply how I can make the game more fun! :)

Thank you!

I'll give it a try tomorrow and post back. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

I gave your game a few playthroughs and I'm extremely impressed! I love how you can start in different eras, and starting skill boost. :) It's very fun to assemble a crew and go looting ships! The wind feature is amazing for water combat as you can stall your ship to avoid shots, and also use wind to your advantage when making offensive moves. The game looks very good, and I really like the UI layout and appearance.

I did find a few bugs in that happen if you die or voluntarily go to the main menu and start a new campaign. You'll either crash the game with enough tries, or weird displays and game issues will happen such as being locked in place, or getting into a battle with the prior screens showing. For example if I died boarding a ship, and I restart to a new campaign, then I attack a ship I will see those icons all over and cannot attack. I would suggest also closing any dialog UI screens on the right when entering a battle, otherwise it blocks the right side of the screen, and if I close it I have to consume a shot.

Despite the bugs above I haven't found any other issues. Your game has a lot of potentially, and I really enjoyed my time playing it. :) I'll be keeping it on my PC for more playthroughs! Great work!

Programmer and 3D Artist

Hmm, looks fun, I'll put it on my tomorrow list as well.

4 minutes ago, Septopus said:

Hmm, looks fun, I'll put it on my tomorrow list as well.

Well worth a try for sure! Who doesn't love sea battles! :D 

Programmer and 3D Artist

1 hour ago, Rutin said:

Well worth a try for sure! Who doesn't love sea battles! :D 

And rum! Never leave port without it (try to avoid walking the plank :P )

Did you manage to defeat famous pirates? Find a lost city or smugglers cache?

Okay, I like it.

Made a few notes, just one play and a mutiny almost right away.. haha.  I'll give it some more goes later, with some more thorough notes.  My initial impression after 1 play-loss, is that I want to try it again because I'm pretty sure I can do better.  So I guess that's where you want me to be.  It's pretty good Alpha stage from what I have seen.

1) During the player setup, the scrolling map is almost distracting, it's beautiful, and maybe my SUPER crappy graphics card is why it was distracting, just a bit of flicker.  It almost seemed to move too fast? 

2) No arrow keys for cursor movement @ name entry.. haha, I thought I wasn't selecting the field correctly or something at first. 

3) When you get to it, don't forget to make sure your installer checks for DirectX. ;)  I actually didn't have it installed.  For now, you might want to change the error from "missing d3dx9_43.dll" to something more user friendly, in case your installer doesn't check out right.

4) I'm not sure if the tutorial is "done" after it sends you out to find a ship to plunder or not, but I might suggest that it Could continue out just a bit longer and maybe direct you to an easily won prize?  Just to solidify the instructions before you lose terribly to a mutiny your first go as captain.

That's all for now, like I said, will give it some more plays later.

Oh and on note #1, if you take too long to setup, the map eventually runs out, so maybe have it change direction instead or something like that.. ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement