🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D Tile Art, Looking for suggestions

Started by
6 comments, last by snowmiser 5 years, 8 months ago

Hello friends!

I've been working on some pretty simplistic pixel art lately, so I put together a picture of the parts of a tile set I'm making. In the picture, you can see grass (one patch with a lighter shade), a stone path, and some cliffs/hills. I've uploaded it to the post.

I'm hoping to get a little bit of feedback on it - is it too simplistic that it doesn't do a good job of portraying what it's supposed to be? Is there anything you would recommend changing to make it look a little more realistic?

Thanks so much, have a great rest of your day!

tiles_test.png

Advertisement

I like that stone path really much. Grass field edges have something nice in them as well. However I think you should add a lot of texture to cliffs/hills and some to the middle of both grass field and that other darker grass. Maybe some random darker/brighter pixels?

Thanks Matiko! I'll try out adding in some more texture to the grass and cliffs. I do have to agree - they're pretty plain in the middle.

Hi. I like what you've done.
If I were asked to work on this, I'd try making the lighting more obvious with a clear light source direction and optional shadows to give more depth.

pixelArtLighting.png.01996d6004c215dbd334a860d57e705f.png

I'd also make sure that the walls are consistent in height. If a wall has a certain height and then travels up or down, any other walls that it connects to should have the same height.

Hey Kryzon,

That's a great idea, I like the lighting you've added to it. Good point about the cliff heights - it looks a bit off, and having them around the same height/distance would certainly help.

Thank you so much for the tips!

It looks much better with lighting. But I'd like to suggest two more things...

If the light comes from direction marked with yellow arrow, then sides pointed by red arrows should be lit as well. You may save shaded edges for the other sides.

And consider adding some simple grass texture in the middle maybe (I've added some crappy one just for the reference).

suggestions.png

Good points about the lightning, thanks for the help! Yeah, I do plan on adding small bits of grass as a separate texture, so that some of them can be animated.

Thanks again to everyone, this is all really helpful advice!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement