🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for feedback on Warfront Infinite Tower Defense game

Started by
2 comments, last by EddieK 5 years, 10 months ago

Hello everyone, yesterday I made a somewhat playable version of my upcoming tower defense game Warfront Infinite and I would like to get your feedback.

The game in question can be found here:

Or you can download it directly from Google Drive

At this point it's a pretty simple game and it's far from finished, but still I would be glad to hear your feedback :)

Advertisement

I gave it a try, and being new to tower defense, i'm completely lost but good for feedback.

First i click on 'start waves' but i don't know what to do next. I don't know who is the enemy. There are jeeps and vehicles coming in, and then some turrets that shoot to them. But who is enemy and who is allies?

(Now while writing i guess i have to stop the incoming vehicles. I'll try again...)

Ok, better. This time i also noticed the important advice 'place your towers' - i've missed that previously. So i placed 4 turrets, but only one of them did shoot at the jeeps then. The others maybe either are too far from the track or facing at the wrong direction i guess?, but it must be something else after checking for that, maybe a bug. I wish there would be some visuals for their range of action.

I'm still confused with the option to start waves myself. Is this for experienced players to accelerate a too easy game? (Like in Lemmings where you could drop them all after you're sure they will reach the goal i guess.)

I leave with an overall confused feeling.

So that's my experience, now some proposals:

During the whole game, i always(!) wish i could see the entire playfield. The need to scroll only increases my confusion: Do i miss something? What's going on out of sight? ...too much questions. So during the first few levels make the playfield so small it fits on the screen. The first levels should act as an tutorial to introduce the game. Even i as a tower defense noob should get it. (I think you know but do it even before you ask other devs for feedback)

Reduce the number of various kinds of towers i can place. Just a single type or two. Introduce more types in following levels and design the levels so the newly introduced type is necessary and makes sense.

Same for the enemies. First level just jeeps, aircrafts later.

Give some more text advice and make it more recognizable (e.g. using a dark window or even an OK button.)

The option to start waves confuses me at a point where i'm not even sure yet if i play the jeeps or the turrets. (Having control over the enemy is confusing.) Introduce this option later and move players focus on placing towers.

If the goal of the game is to prevent the enemies from going through a gate (just guessing, not sure), make those gates visually different from the gates where thy come in, or do something else so this becomes clear. Also say it with text before the game, etc. The goal is still unclear to me.

Eventually visualize the grid in some form (could be done as a effect while hovering the mouse pointer when building for example).

So that's it. I know it never feels good if first players just don't get it, but those things need to be fixed, which should be easy to do. :)

2 hours ago, JoeJ said:

I gave it a try, and being new to tower defense, i'm completely lost but good for feedback.

First i click on 'start waves' but i don't know what to do next. I don't know who is the enemy. There are jeeps and vehicles coming in, and then some turrets that shoot to them. But who is enemy and who is allies?

(Now while writing i guess i have to stop the incoming vehicles. I'll try again...)

Ok, better. This time i also noticed the important advice 'place your towers' - i've missed that previously. So i placed 4 turrets, but only one of them did shoot at the jeeps then. The others maybe either are too far from the track or facing at the wrong direction i guess?, but it must be something else after checking for that, maybe a bug. I wish there would be some visuals for their range of action.

I'm still confused with the option to start waves myself. Is this for experienced players to accelerate a too easy game? (Like in Lemmings where you could drop them all after you're sure they will reach the goal i guess.)

I leave with an overall confused feeling.

So that's my experience, now some proposals:

During the whole game, i always(!) wish i could see the entire playfield. The need to scroll only increases my confusion: Do i miss something? What's going on out of sight? ...too much questions. So during the first few levels make the playfield so small it fits on the screen. The first levels should act as an tutorial to introduce the game. Even i as a tower defense noob should get it. (I think you know but do it even before you ask other devs for feedback)

Reduce the number of various kinds of towers i can place. Just a single type or two. Introduce more types in following levels and design the levels so the newly introduced type is necessary and makes sense.

Same for the enemies. First level just jeeps, aircrafts later.

Give some more text advice and make it more recognizable (e.g. using a dark window or even an OK button.)

The option to start waves confuses me at a point where i'm not even sure yet if i play the jeeps or the turrets. (Having control over the enemy is confusing.) Introduce this option later and move players focus on placing towers.

If the goal of the game is to prevent the enemies from going through a gate (just guessing, not sure), make those gates visually different from the gates where thy come in, or do something else so this becomes clear. Also say it with text before the game, etc. The goal is still unclear to me.

Eventually visualize the grid in some form (could be done as a effect while hovering the mouse pointer when building for example).

So that's it. I know it never feels good if first players just don't get it, but those things need to be fixed, which should be easy to do. :)

Awesome and constructive feedback! This is is exactly what I needed!

I guess a tutorial level would clarify some of these issues you experienced. I will certainly add the towers gradually with each new level. The exit and entry gates will look differently as well. And the option to see the whole map seems good, I will try adding that as well.

Ahh... There's so much stuff still left to do. Making games is HARD :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement