🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

how to write good resume for game studios?

Started by
2 comments, last by GeneralJist 5 years, 9 months ago

hi. 

is there any good format or right template to write good resume to send for game studios?

in general, how should i write it?

Advertisement

Your name. Your contact info. One line stating what job to file your application with (e.g. junior gameplay programmer, senior network programmer, concept artist, etc). List of completed, release software projects in reverse chronological order.  If your last degree was less than 3 years ago, your highest education in reverse chronological order and then your work history in reverse chronological order.  If your last degree was more than 3 years ago, your relevant work history goes first, followed by education.  If you still have space at the bottom, relevant hobby projects.  Use about one page for every 5-10 years of experience.

Put it all in a PDF of MS Word format.

Note that if you don't have much work experience employers what to know about any job you've held. Even if it wasn't in the industry I want to see that you know how to work with others, know how to punch in, and otherwise know how to hold a job.   Once you've got a few years of experience in the industry you can drop the fact that you worked in fast food or sweeping floors or whatever you did to earn money through school.

A games resume isn't that different from a regular job resume. 

It should include all the expected sections such as career summary, work experience, volunteer experience, skills. 

The main thing I've seen and heard, is if you've done game jams, clearly state they are game jams. I've heard countless people complain that they get a resume that says producer/ lead artist/ lead designer/ etc. and then, and they pass screening, and then they get a huge let down when they find out they only held that position for 48 hours. It's very misleading, and it really messes up the Applicant tracking systems. 

We also want to see non game roles, as Frob said, we want to know you know how to be a part of a normal company.  We don't expect everything to be game related.

When I apply for jobs, I usually make a base version for each industry I'm applying for, then I customize that based on each position I apply for. Sure it's a lot of work, but I once had a guy who has done HR for 10 years said he never thought of that, and he was very impressed. The big downside to this approach, is if you make a change to the base version, you need to make a change to all related versions. It can be a lot of work, but this way you know exactly what's in what version, and you don't look like a fool if someone asks you about your resume, and you don't know what version they have. 

Another thing that I've seen, is some people include a picture of themselves, I have no idea where people got this idea, but it's normally not a good idea. I usually get  such resumes from applicants out of the US. so maybe it's a foreign thing.  The entire point of seeing a person's experience and accomplishments without a picture is to try and limit biases, a picture bypasses that.  

Less common, but some people include their references in a section in the resume, another bad practice. If we want them, we will ask for them, not to mention it's a bad idea to have contact information floating out there for anyone to exploit. 

Also, in my opinion, if you didn't finish a degree, no matter how close you were to finishing, don't include it. It  looks bad. I once got a resume that said this guy attended a masters program, but didn't finish. He also said in his resume he didn't finish because he didn't bother to attend classes. A very bad impression. I have no idea why he thought  it was a good idea to tell me he didn't attend class. Doubtless he was screened out. 

In this day and age, it's always good to link to your linkedin. If you don't have one, make one. Better yet, make a website for yourself. It looks more professional. 

All of this also depends on what your games field is. An Artist's resume should look different from a programmer's resume, and different from a designer's resume, etc.  

When you put down your contact info, a city is enough for your address.  Putting down your full address is an old practice, not to mention the privacy concerns. 

If you've worked for an indie company, clearly state they are an indie company. It's misleading if you try and pretend they are a full corporate company.  Sure, you want to impress people. But if you lead them down a road, and then need to walk it back, it looks worse. 

It's expected that people puff up their resumes about 15-20%, I personally don't, but expecting a bit of puff is normal. That doesn't mean you should lie on your resume tho. If you do, and your caught,  It can end really bad. Spell out everything clearly in your resume, so they can't say you mislead them. If should be all there in the document,  It's not your fault if they just skimmed it and missed critical details. 

Conventional wisdom is one page, but 2 pages is ok these days. I started squeezing everything on one page, and many people said it seems like I was working too hard to put it all on one page. If you do more than one page, fill out everything fully so there is good spacing and proportion. Fill each page at least half way up, if you go more than one page. 

Add hyperlinks to any projects you may have worked on, but keep it to a minimum. I once got a resume where every single position had a hyperlink, very exhausting, they didn't get th position.

Be consistent with your headings in terms of fonts and size. 

When you put a date duration, spell out the 1st 3 letters of the month. A person should not need to spend more than 2 seconds trying to figure out what dates you worked where.

Make word & PDF versions, depending on what ATS is used, they will prefer one or the other, word is the most common format tho. PDF is good to lock formatting down, sometimes depending on where you upload your resume,   the formatting gets screwed up. Formatting is 70% of a resume review. 

If 2 people apply to a job, one with great formatting and ok content, the other with bad formatting and good content, if they both pass the ATS, the better formatting is more likely to get picked out of the pile. 

Also, follow the application instructions to the letter. This should be self evident,  but countless people don't follow instructions, or don't five all the requested information in the AD. For most companies, they just throw those applications out. If you don't follow instructions coming through the door, how can you be expected to follow instructions once your in?

One of my department leads told me once he was a manager for some company a while back. The last page of the application said to remove the last page from the application. He said they threw out all the applications that still had that page, no review. no second chance. 

The other important part of a job application is the cover letter. 

I honestly hate cover letters, and think they are totally unnecessary, but not all people think that way. 

Highlight your relevant experience, and why you want to work for that specific company. It's meant to tell them why they should look at your resume. 

Objectives are also an old practice. If you use objectives, you'd likely need to customize them for every position and industry you apply to. If you screw up and send in the wrong version, your screwed. A career summary is broader, and by showing where you've been, you tell more about yourself than just where you want to go. 

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement