🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Pirate game need playtesting! (now with tutorial)

Started by
6 comments, last by suliman 5 years, 9 months ago

The newest version of my pirate adventure/strategy game in the vain of Sid Meiers Pirates! is out!

Please try it out! You can run missions, gain ranks with different nations, hunt down buried treasury and lost cities, trade and much more. There is also now a semi-interactive tutorial to help you get started!

You can level skills and buy ships up until frigates. Any issues? Any balance problems, economy problems?

Download: Plunder Horizon, alpha 3
(60 MB, windows only, just unpack it and play, no installation)

screen6.thumb.png.1681dcd207f6ad3d9db4235f195baf7e.pngscreen5.thumb.png.2535c575a3b7364ca7e79773bfe6b14e.pngscreen4.thumb.png.bdb66728807c573a04e22eec1f3a0fba.pngscreen3.thumb.png.5ba7b6d9488482d93cf0cb612a0d0668.pngscreen2.thumb.png.72cac8607a3bf0c596c76bf03fde8479.pngscreen0.thumb.png.1921df254ad2a0c3acf5092ff3dff57a.png

Advertisement

Is there noone interested in testing my game? I'd really appriciate some feedback.

I'll try to give it a go when I have some more time, because I freakin' love pirate-themed stuff!

On 8/28/2018 at 11:04 PM, suliman said:

Be careful with public Dropbox links. Unless you are paying for service you have data limit of 1-2 GB. Once you go over your account gets blocked. First time is simple to deal with, but 2nd time your account will be blocked for a week and afterwards I believe it's a month.

I would suggest to use Google Drive for public sharing.

Issues so far:

1. Why resolution config option is a checkbox? It should be a dropdown or have left/right arrows.
  2. FPS Limit has same issue as above.
  3. Only very few resolutions are supported. Where is 1440p? I can't play fullscreen with what is available.
  4. See 1st screenshot, my checkbox got eaten.
  5. It seems content is slightly different resolution than available window space. I am seeing artifacts because of that. Especially in the main menu due to scrolling background.
  6. I can use WS to control sails, but tutorial doesn't proceed unless I specifically use arrow keys.
  7. See 2nd screenshot. I don't think it's supposed to do that.

err1.png

err2.png

It is working fine under wine in linux so that is good.

It has improved lots since the last build I tried. The tutorial is working well and managed to help me takeover an enemy ship.

I was progressing fine until there was a point in the tutorial where it paused the game and wanted me to click on a tip (in the tavern?) but I had chosen to rest some days, and it put me back out to sea, while paused, and there was no way to continue the tutorial because I couldn't get to the tip screen. I suspect you need some way of limiting what the user can do during the tutorials (or at least unpausing, I couldn't work out how to do that).

Overall I think it is a great effort, but I do fear that the copyright issues I mentioned in the earlier thread may limit you in terms of releasing to the wider public (as well as the images from google images, I recognised the song 'barrett's privateers' by stan rogers), so I would tread very carefully in this regard.

I tried it. You have a long way to go. Music is annoying. It's hard to read when somebody sings. I tried to enter combat, but couldn't move my ship. I set sails but nothing happened. It didn't move. You need to work more on making your game more accessible. I lost patience quickly because I couldn't move my ship.

I'm looking into screen tearing in windowed mode! (it works fine in fullscreen)

@Thal

Music can be disabled if annoying:) (but shanties should be less frequent anyway i think)

Yeah it's not a fun game if you cannot move your ship :)
In what situation couldnt you move your ship? (ive never seen that) Was the game perhaps paused?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement