🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

When to use zBrush? When to stick with Blender?

Started by
4 comments, last by nikko1017 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm currently in the process of learning Blender.  However I have come across zBrush for sculpting.  My question is simply -> when do you want to use zBrush in your workflow?  

For more on my wargaming title check out my dev blog at http://baelsoubliette.wordpress.com/
Advertisement

Zbrush for organic models. That is characters, trees animals etc. Even characters in armour is better in Zbrush. Zbrush for cloth editing also, also I use marvelous designer for clothing; but it is a lot extra to learn.

Blender for hard edge modeling and everything else. Weapons, objects, vehicles, props, anything that isn't alive. You will use Blender more than Zbrush unless you are a character modeler.

Blender also has sculpting, I like to use it for terrains with the Dynamic topology; because it works great on things like rocks etc that have wide range of details.

Appreciate the input thank you!

For more on my wargaming title check out my dev blog at http://baelsoubliette.wordpress.com/

Its been a while for me but ZBrush uses Voxels( well, something similar called "pixols" ) instead of polygons, allowing for far higher resolution meshes.  Pushed to both their limits, ZBrush will come out on top while just about everything else will crash.  Also, should you be a working professional then ZBrush is essential.

So if you are not doing professional work nor experiencing memory crashes then stick with Blender. 

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

This is great! Thanks for the tips as well. 

On Hiatus this month. Will be taking a brief vacation from work. Got my F-150 working again so I bought a few items including fuel wheels to use for the road trip.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement