🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Lack of idea for background

Started by
2 comments, last by NotAJoestar 5 years, 10 months ago

Hello!

I new for game developing and to gamedev.net.

I hope somebody can point me to the right direction. I developing a vertical shoot em' up and I want to make some non-traditional backgrounds.

I want to make something like hyperspace but more cartoonish and colorful, and of course in top-down. i can't find any good example, so if any of you know any way to get good inspiration to make it, thanks!

Advertisement

Hey
It's just some advice but it may help.
$ If you are trying to bring in some variety to the generic black with white dots backgrounds, I think you it would be good to add some nebulae in the background so that it might break the traditional feel.
$ If you are saying you want it to me more cartoonish? Well you have to be specific about that. Because there are many types of cartoons out there and it will be upto you what you want to choose. But remember it will define the artstyle of the whole game. Just for some different examples =  Flash art style - the artstyle that flash games used to have. Other different cartoons like adventure time, samurai jack etc. (Just saying those because i love those styles) well last of all and its an idea use real objects like they do in stop motion (it might not have been done before).

Well that is it. If you have any issues with it just let me know.

Thanks for the firts advice, i thinked about that, but I'll tell you why it is not that sample.

For the spaceships, I used two color and black outline, which makes very strange the background with stars. So the black outline and the two color is what i tthink is "cartoonish", not mentioning the ship are all small (pixeled). I want something colroful and maybe with particle I made the stars. But I don't have an exact idea so this is why I want to look up some visuals to get it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement