🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Building up experience in other specializations?

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 5 years, 11 months ago

Hello!

I am currently enrolled in Game Programming and Development and I have been jumping around between multiple specialties, including programming disciplines and graphic design. I just wanted to gather some perspective on the Game Design specialization and if you think it's prudent, as a beginner finishing up school, to start out in QA or a similarly related field as I expand my portfolio before I try to dive into game design? After reviewing some of the qualifications for game design jobs, I noticed that the majority of studios want 2-3 years of experience, so I wanted to gauge the best direction to jump-start a design focus as I wrap up my academic terms. Any advice is very much appreciated!

Advertisement
2 hours ago, keitak said:

I am currently enrolled in Game Programming and Development and I have been jumping around between multiple specialties, including programming disciplines and graphic design. I just wanted to gather some perspective on the Game Design specialization and if you think it's prudent, as a beginner finishing up school, to start out in QA or a similarly related field as I expand my portfolio before I try to dive into game design? 

The water's fine. No need to wait. I would highly recommend that you take at least one class in Game Design, and do some reading, and check out the Extra Credits videos on YT.

2 hours ago, keitak said:

After reviewing some of the qualifications for game design jobs, I noticed that the majority of studios want 2-3 years of experience,

All of them want that. But most companies are willing to bring in raw grads to work their way up in Engineering. Usually new people start in tools programming, or databases. Don't look for entry-level job ads. Just apply.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

On 7/26/2018 at 10:01 AM, keitak said:

After reviewing some of the qualifications for game design jobs, I noticed that the majority of studios want 2-3 years of experience

I just noticed that my previous reply I overlooked the complete phrase "game design jobs." I saw that you're enrolled in a programming program, so I assumed your interest in jobs would be for programming jobs. With a programming degree, that's the type of job you ought to be contemplating. Not game design. Game Designer is a senior level position, not an entry level position. 

On 7/26/2018 at 10:01 AM, keitak said:

prudent, as a beginner finishing up school, to start out in QA or a similarly related field as I expand my portfolio before I try to dive into game design?

Since you're getting a degree, you don't need to apply for QA jobs unless you absolutely can't get a programming job. The benefit in exploring graphics and design is that it increases your knowledge of what goes into game creation, and lets you see things through the eyes of some of your non-programmer teammates. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement