🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Starting in the Field Right Out of College?

Started by
6 comments, last by frob 5 years, 11 months ago

Hello,

I'm wrapping up my Game Programming and Development program at the end of December. Right now, I'm concentrating on gameplay programming and I'm doing everything I can to make my resume as attractive as possible. I'm graduating with a 4.0, have been inducted into an honor society, and volunteer my time/writing for an online publication service. Despite this, I'm noticing almost all job postings I've reviewed require at least one year of experience in the field on the low end. Has anyone landed an entry level game development job right out of college? Is this a rare thing? I've had two call backs from Revature and Syntel. I've heard mixed reviews of both, but taking a job from either would get my foot in the door and give me some professional IT experience. I'd obviously prefer to start at a game dev studio. Is it possible to start at a game development company right out of college? If so, what steps I should take to ensure that I can do this? I'm working on a portfolio and have registered my own dot com. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

WBIII

Advertisement

It's not a rare thing to land a game development job as a programmer out of University, I did the same however it was with an MSc. It all depends on the places you apply too and if they are willing to take juniors or not. Just be aware that you are going to learn more in your first year on the job than what you did in Uni.

Also be prepared to hit the ground running, and be prepared to be productive within 1-2 months of starting. Usually if you cant make that you wont survive your probationary period.

Portfolios help because they show off what you can do. You could try seeing internship levels of applications too these usually lead to junior contracts if you can handle the workload.

What I wouldn't do is get a QA job at a games company and try and move up to programming through that route, this is usually even harder than just applying.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

5 hours ago, wbrill23 said:

I'm noticing almost all job postings I've reviewed require at least one year of experience in the field on the low end.

Game studios don't need to advertise for lower level positions.  Usually between word-of-mouth and unsolicited applications they get an enormous pile of entry-level applicants.

Studios also prefer to hire people with some experience rather than being the company who has to do the initial training in the industry. If they're going to pay money and go through the effort of advertising, they want someone who has experience in the industry, preferably one who will still take entry level pay. 

5 hours ago, wbrill23 said:

Is it possible to start at a game development company right out of college? If so, what steps I should take to ensure that I can do this?

Yes it is possible. You need to be local (within commuting distance), or be prepared to move to the company's location on your own. Location is one of the first screenings you will never see.

You also need to work your social network and find the friend-of-a-friend who works in a game studio and get them to push your application along. Based on various HR estimates one hour of working your social ties is worth about nine hours of applying blindly to jobs. You can still apply without having a contact at the company, but you are far better off finding a connection and leveraging it whenever possible.  The easiest way to be on the interview short list is to have someone recommend you for the spot.

You need to be prepared that sometimes you won't get the job you want straight out of college. Be prepared to work in a related field if necessary. Other entertainment jobs, games-related technologies, live displays, simulations, these can all help your career.  A job writing software for broadcast television, writing modeling or cad software, writing data simulations, writing interactive networking code, these can transfer directly into games.  Business development like programming in SQL and Java backends can also transition to game server work.   Apply to those jobs after you've exhausted your work on your most desirable companies.

It seems the entry level jobs are much simpler to find in the EU, basically any ad on a companies webpage that doesn't specifially asks for a timed amount of experience is a entry level job. I just found about 5 of these in 5 minutes just now.

I used https://www.gamedevmap.com/ this to actually find my first job, just write the companies directly with your cover letter and CV.

One thing though looking for a job around May-October is hard because lots of graduates have just sent in their CV to all these low level job roles.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

16 hours ago, wbrill23 said:

I'm graduating with a 4.0, have been inducted into an honor society, and volunteer my time/writing for an online publication service. Despite this, I'm noticing almost all job postings I've reviewed require at least one year of experience in the field on the low end. 

Have you made any games yet? Over the course of a 4 year college degree, it's possible to put an entire year of spare time into a hobby game project.

12 hours ago, frob said:

You need to be prepared that sometimes you won't get the job you want straight out of college. Be prepared to work in a related field if necessary. Other entertainment jobs, games-related technologies, live displays, simulations, these can all help your career.  A job writing software for broadcast television, writing modeling or cad software, writing data simulations, writing interactive networking code, these can transfer directly into games.  Business development like programming in SQL and Java backends can also transition to game server work.   Apply to those jobs after you've exhausted your work on your most desirable companies.

Ditto. One of the originals from Bioware once told me that for a time, he was the only one there with a degree (and not in games). Some of the people were former used-car salesman etc. that the company hired based on their skills in modding, etc. My friend's dad was also once offered a job by them as an artist when they saw his drawings, which was an unsolicited submission. 

Everything is trial by fire.

On 7/24/2018 at 12:49 AM, Chris Schmidt said:

Everything is trial by fire.

The industry has a strong background in meritocracy. 

If you can demonstrate that you can do the job they need, that can be enough to get you hired.

Educational background is still part of the process.  If two people can demonstrate similar results and are generally equal then better education can tip the scales.  Many times education background is a mandatory HR filter: sometimes it must be a specific degree, other times it can be any degree, but the combination of no degree, no existing credits, and no insider pushing your application means no interviews.

Once you're already successful in the industry a person's educational background is less important, but it will remain a factor in wage negotiation and will be troublesome with every new job.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement