🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Professional Development for an Environment Artist

Started by
5 comments, last by Jeff Boynton 5 years, 11 months ago

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jeff and I am finishing up my degree here at Southern New Hampshire University in Game Design. Part of the process towards my graduation is reaching out into the community to learn as much as I can working towards a given career. I am most interested in 3D Modeling, and have an interest in environment art which I am sure in some cases very much one in the same. So, my question for all of you is this. What experience did you need to have when you landed your job at a studio as an artist? What software experience was needed, and how many years of that experience? Did you find that you needed to learn a lot more before landing that job?

I really appreciate the feedback! 

See you all around the forums! 

Jeff Boynton

Advertisement
1 hour ago, Jeff Boynton said:

1. What experience [is needed to land a] job at a studio as an artist? 2. What software experience was needed, and how many years of that experience?

I reworded your question so non-artists like myself can reply. 1. You need a degree and a great portfolio, and you need to live within daily commuting distance from the company you're applying to. You are studying in NH, but is that where you live? You can check New Hampshire in gamedevmap.com, but I don't suppose there are a lot of game companies there. 2. You need to be well versed in the software favored by the hiring company - some use Maya, some use 3DS Max. The software and the job requirements will be stated in job openings. Read FAQ 84. You might find some of my other articles helpful, too.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

6 hours ago, Jeff Boynton said:

What experience did you need to have when you landed your job at a studio as an artist?

My own story is reversed from yours. I was a self taught 3D artist, freelanced for two years then after failing to get any decent work I went to University, I also continued my freelance work. By the time I was done with University I already had five years of practical experience and a good portfolio.

A good idea is not to have large empty time gaps in your portfolio. It is very easy to do freelance work and to forget to get testimonials, so you will need to keep some proof of what you did. People like to know you have been keeping busy.

Your portfolio is your best tool for selling yourself, constantly build and update it. Only put your best work in and don't flood it, instead remove older work.

What software experience was needed

The basic requirements is Maya or 3ds Max experience. Having artwork made in each should help show you are flexible. You also need experience with a game engine these days, it is easy to download Unity or Unreal to make a portfolio piece.

Zbrush experience is good to have, but don't panic over it.

have an interest in environment art

I really recommend downloading Unreal and working with it, you can make much more amazing terrains that will help you land the job you want.

Environment art isn't high level, fresh out of University the kind of work you will find is more related to prop modeling. Even so don't be afraid to apply for environment art, some developers is known for run through environment artist like candy.

On 7/16/2018 at 3:51 PM, Tom Sloper said:

I reworded your question so non-artists like myself can reply. 1. You need a degree and a great portfolio, and you need to live within daily commuting distance from the company you're applying to. You are studying in NH, but is that where you live? You can check New Hampshire in gamedevmap.com, but I don't suppose there are a lot of game companies there. 2. You need to be well versed in the software favored by the hiring company - some use Maya, some use 3DS Max. The software and the job requirements will be stated in job openings. Read FAQ 84. You might find some of my other articles helpful, too.

Tom, 

Thank you very much for your feedback on this! Your site is very helpful!

On 7/16/2018 at 9:46 PM, Scouting Ninja said:

My own story is reversed from yours. I was a self taught 3D artist, freelanced for two years then after failing to get any decent work I went to University, I also continued my freelance work. By the time I was done with University I already had five years of practical experience and a good portfolio.

A good idea is not to have large empty time gaps in your portfolio. It is very easy to do freelance work and to forget to get testimonials, so you will need to keep some proof of what you did. People like to know you have been keeping busy.

Your portfolio is your best tool for selling yourself, constantly build and update it. Only put your best work in and don't flood it, instead remove older work.

The basic requirements is Maya or 3ds Max experience. Having artwork made in each should help show you are flexible. You also need experience with a game engine these days, it is easy to download Unity or Unreal to make a portfolio piece.

Zbrush experience is good to have, but don't panic over it.

I really recommend downloading Unreal and working with it, you can make much more amazing terrains that will help you land the job you want.

Environment art isn't high level, fresh out of University the kind of work you will find is more related to prop modeling. Even so don't be afraid to apply for environment art, some developers is known for run through environment artist like candy.

Scouting Ninja,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. It's interesting to see how people break into the field. I wish I had been in your shoes and gotten the experience before going to University. I fell in love with 3D modeling during one of the classes I took and have been going non-stop since then. Although I admit I am not very good at it quite yet. What makes a good portfolio?

Jeff Boynton

4 hours ago, Jeff Boynton said:

What makes a good portfolio?

That one is right up there with "What is art?" and "What is the purpose of life?". It is a very abstract idea that changes depending on the person looking at your work.

One thing to ask yourself is why the developer even wants a portfolio. 1.) Often it is to see if you can really do what you say you can, 2.) to see what quality you can produce, 3.) if the art you make can be used in a game and 4.) to measure you against other candidates.

So as a environment artist you should probably start with a bang. The first thing in your portfolio should be a gorgeous landscape, just to set the tone. Then right after that should be a breakdown of the scene, show the modular assets that was used, how it was all planned and designed. Last should be some kind of wire frame and material breakdown ,describing how each asset was adjusted etc.

After that you should include other artworks that show what skills you have. For example if you say you are good in a team, you should proof it in the portfolio, by mixing your own art, perfectly with the art of others. Maybe have a level designed by a level designer in primitives that you then turn into a good looking level, or a concept piece made by a professional that you turn into a working 3D piece.

Basically a portfolio is proof of who you are.

Spoiler

Don't waste months making a good scene. It doesn't help if your portfolio is fantastic but you can't match it under production conditions.

Props that look bad on their own is often fantastic for scenes and props that are fantastic on their own is often noisy when placed into a scene.

2 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

That one is right up there with "What is art?" and "What is the purpose of life?". It is a very abstract idea that changes depending on the person looking at your work.

One thing to ask yourself is why the developer even wants a portfolio. 1.) Often it is to see if you can really do what you say you can, 2.) to see what quality you can produce, 3.) if the art you make can be used in a game and 4.) to measure you against other candidates.

So as a environment artist you should probably start with a bang. The first thing in your portfolio should be a gorgeous landscape, just to set the tone. Then right after that should be a breakdown of the scene, show the modular assets that was used, how it was all planned and designed. Last should be some kind of wire frame and material breakdown ,describing how each asset was adjusted etc.

After that you should include other artworks that show what skills you have. For example if you say you are good in a team, you should proof it in the portfolio, by mixing your own art, perfectly with the art of others. Maybe have a level designed by a level designer in primitives that you then turn into a good looking level, or a concept piece made by a professional that you turn into a working 3D piece.

Basically a portfolio is proof of who you are.

Reveal hidden contents

Don't waste months making a good scene. It doesn't help if your portfolio is fantastic but you can't match it under production conditions.

Props that look bad on their own is often fantastic for scenes and props that are fantastic on their own is often noisy when placed into a scene.

Very well said. Thank you for the valuable feedback!

Jeff Boynton

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement