🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for some help regarding getting into game development

Started by
3 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 11 months ago

Hello fellow artists and passionate game developers I recently discovered this forum and I've been wanting to ask you this one thing.

I've been a passionate gamer for my entire life and I've spent many years learning art and various forms of it. I've always wanted to get into game design and just wanted to ask for some pointers on where should I look to get a position as a 2D animator for a small indie studio? :)

Thank you for your time.

Advertisement
1 hour ago, Ingus_Viksers said:

I've always wanted to get into game design

1 hour ago, Ingus_Viksers said:

where should I look to get a position as a 2D animator

These are considered two different positions within the industry. Smaller studios are more likely to merge roles due to less staff, but game design in itself isn't the same role as being a 2D animator.

I'm guessing you meant to write that you always wanted to get into game development and you're looking to be a 2D animator at a small studio?

Do you currently have a portfolio you can show? In your current location or a location you're looking at applying, are there game studios looking for people(are they posting job listings)? Do you have any working 2D animation experience outside of game development?

If you're looking at joining a studio as a 2D animator you should do research on the studio itself, and pay attention to the quality of their 2D animation work on their games. If they have 2D animators on staff, check out their portfolios if possible. You'll want to compare your work to what the studio is already putting out. If your portfolio is below that quality it may be difficult to get a position there. You're also competing with other applicants so keep that in mind.

The hardest part in any field is to get into the door and establish your resume. It may also be easier to get a 2D animation job outside of game development first prior to applying if you don't have employment experience, but other than that you just need a good portfolio and reach out to the companies in which you would like to work for.

Getting hired is another story and depends on many factors, applying for a job is the easy part.

You can also look into freelance work as a possibility, but you'll be competing world wide.

Programmer and 3D Artist

6 hours ago, Ingus_Viksers said:

I've always wanted to get into game design

I assume you mean game development (not design, since you are asking about art and animation instead).

6 hours ago, Ingus_Viksers said:

where should I look to get a position as a 2D animator for a small indie studio?

Without a portfolio, a degree, or any game experience, check out our Hobby Project Classifieds section (under the Careers tab).

2 hours ago, Rutin said:

Getting hired is another story and depends on many factors, applying for a job is the easy part.

You can also look into freelance work as a possibility, but you'll be competing world wide.

Yes, but one needs a portfolio at the very least. Wow'em with your amazingly spectacular craftsmanship.

Moving to the Career Advice board.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

2 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

Yes, but one needs a portfolio at the very least. Wow'em with your amazingly spectacular craftsmanship.

Yep! :) If I was in the OP's situation I wouldn't even bother sending an application unless my portfolio was either on par or better than what that studio is currently releasing. Personally I would go for better if possible. Anyone can fill out an online application and send submit, but without a quality portfolio it would be a complete waste of time. :D

5 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

Without a portfolio, a degree, or any game experience, check out our Hobby Project Classifieds section (under the Careers tab).

@Ingus_Viksers this is a very good suggestion to help build up your portfolio and experience as well. :) Just keep your focus on building a great portfolio and the bigger picture. Don't forget that understanding the workflow and being able to work with a team is also very important.

Wishing you the best!

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement