🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Control over the game

Started by
7 comments, last by SkyPenguin 5 years, 11 months ago

I was wondering, if there is a story game, where the player has complete control over the game. In sandbox games like Terraria, you have control over the whole world and you can do whatever you like, but a Sandbox Story game sounds like extremely interresting idea. In Infamous Second son, the story can end two different ways, but the whole story only resolves at the end. In Undertale, there are more ways, but the storyline doesnt change that much. Is there any gam, that the story is completely in your hands ?? 

Hello, Im DasunSet.

Advertisement

The total possibility is equivalent to the feature set of a Multiverse. The only feasible version of any real quality that you propose is to simply take out a piece of paper and a pencil and start writing/drawing, or just shut your eyes and imagine.

There are games out there with more than two storylines though, if you're looking at a story space that's shy of infinite.

third answer: search for fanfiction of your favorite game. Bunch of different storylines there, crowdsourced for your enjoyment.

2 hours ago, SkyPenguin said:

The total possibility is equivalent to the feature set of a Multiverse. The only feasible version of any real quality that you propose is to simply take out a piece of paper and a pencil and start writing/drawing, or just shut your eyes and imagine.

There are games out there with more than two storylines though, if you're looking at a story space that's shy of infinite.

third answer: search for fanfiction of your favorite game. Bunch of different storylines there, crowdsourced for your enjoyment.

Well fanfiction is not what I mean. I wonder if there is a game with the main premise is branching story that can end howewer the playey wants (obviously with limitations).

Hello, Im DasunSet.

13 hours ago, DasunSet said:

Well fanfiction is not what I mean. I wonder if there is a game with the main premise is branching story that can end howewer the playey wants (obviously with limitations).

Oddly enough I'm working on a game, but I find most games extremely boring because they all tend to end up with one or more predefined endings. I come from a world of table top RPGs and I like the fact that the game can go in any direction, based on player actions. I think MMOs can and do duplicate this to some limited extent. I remember playing Everquest with friends and we often had stories to tell after a night of gaming. I think this is because even if the initial set of conditions are the same, a bunch of players interacting in different ways can change the way things happen. For the MMO I'm working on I want to try to make this aspect of the game even more prominent.  For one I would like players to be able to give other players quests. Perhaps one player needs something he is not suited to obtain himself.  Or perhaps he needs some lower level item(s) and he doesn't really want to waste the time getting it himself. I think I want to avoid story lines altogether, and just have some sort of overall world mythology and just let people play.

13 hours ago, DasunSet said:

Games like ... Quantic Dream's (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Detroit: Become Humans) ? What you described sounds like game with multiple choices that leads to different endings, may be tens or hundreds of possible endings.

http://9tawan.net/en/

Well, i am not quite sure you would call this a sandbox game, but i am personally in love with The Stanley Parable.

Self-taught game development

9 hours ago, Gnollrunner said:

Oddly enough I'm working on a game, but I find most games extremely boring because they all tend to end up with one or more predefined endings. I come from a world of table top RPGs and I like the fact that the game can go in any direction, based on player actions. I think MMOs can and do duplicate this to some limited extent. I remember playing Everquest with friends and we often had stories to tell after a night of gaming. I think this is because even if the initial set of conditions are the same, a bunch of players interacting in different ways can change the way things happen. For the MMO I'm working on I want to try to make this aspect of the game even more prominent.  For one I would like players to be able to give other players quests. Perhaps one player needs something he is not suited to obtain himself.  Or perhaps he needs some lower level item(s) and he doesn't really want to waste the time getting it himself. I think I want to avoid story lines altogether, and just have some sort of overall world mythology and just let people play.

Oh man, that sounds interresting. The idea of players giving each other quests is amazing. Or you can allow players to write stories about the world and players can react to them or expand them and let players create their own lore.

9 hours ago, mr_tawan said:

Games like ... Quantic Dream's (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Detroit: Become Humans) ?

Oh yeah. Heavy rain is and excelent game, but as MKeiN2 mentioned:

2 hours ago, MKeiN2 said:

Well, i am not quite sure you would call this a sandbox game, but i am personally in love with The Stanley Parable.

Stanley parable is game that I totally forgot, that is a good example of a story game, where you can explore, or find weird endings. The unfortunate fact is that Stanley parable doesnt have much gameplay to offer, but the many story possiblities is still amazing.

Hello, Im DasunSet.

MM, the reason tabletop games are able to support so many branching narratives is that they have the advantage of possessing a supremely powerful AI helping to guide the world: otherwise known as the mind of the Dungeon Master.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement