🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Artist - What is my next step?

Started by
3 comments, last by frob 5 years, 12 months ago

Hi GameDev community!

I don't know what to do next to work as a video game artist.

Education:
Advanced drawing, figure drawing, oil painting, traditional animation, java and visual basic college classes. No degree.

Self or tutorial taught skills:
2D digital art and animation (would prefer to learn how this is normally made for and used in games), currently learning C# and Unity

I am happy with my level of traditional art skill. My 2D digital art and animation skills are there, but I'm kind of self taught and I bet there are many things I can learn to improve. I have not even tried 3D art yet. I'm curious about it, but not sure if it will be useful to know both 2D and 3D. I enjoy programming and learning to use Unity, but again I'm not sure if these are things that will be useful as an artist.

What is my next step? Are there alternatives to formal education that will still teach me what I need to know? And most importantly, is there a path I can set for myself to work towards my goal of working as a video game artist?

Advertisement

Most important would be work experience. If you can't find a job, then do some freelance work.

29 minutes ago, sleepypixie said:

No degree.

Getting a degree would be a good idea. Or focusing some time to make a outstanding portfolio.

31 minutes ago, sleepypixie said:

I have not even tried 3D art yet. I'm curious about it, but not sure if it will be useful to know both 2D and 3D.

All art forms build on top of each other. Learning one will improve your other art forms. It's a good idea to learn 3D and most concept artist I know and have worked with use 3D to make bases; instead of guidelines.

You can't go wrong by learning 3D art.

35 minutes ago, sleepypixie said:

I enjoy programming and learning to use Unity, but again I'm not sure if these are things that will be useful as an artist.

It actually matters a lot. Most game developers want to know that you know how to use your art, you will be expected to implement your own art into a engine.

You won't need to know how to program the art to work, but you will be expected to load your own art into the engine and prepare it for the next person on the team.

If the team you are working with is using a code based engine, you will often need to code your art into the engine. So knowing how to program counts for a lot.

Just now, Scouting Ninja said:

Okay I will focus on building up my portfolio, learning 3D art and loading and preparing my art in Unity. Thank you!

What aspect of video game art? Pixel art, UI art, and 3D texturing are different skill sets.

You will need to develop a portfolio to get a job in the industry, and the portfolio needs to be art as it applies to games.  You wrote that you are mostly physical media and not digital art, but games are a digital creation so you need to get those skills up there.  Your portfolio needs to have a wide range of material. A collection of guns and busty females won't cut it, since EVERYTHING in the game needs to be drawn.

A portfolio doesn't need to include all of them, but you should demonstrate you can create art in many styles.  For concept art and for modeling & texturing this can include, but isn't limited to, buildings from different eras from stick huts through skyscrapers, clothing and armors from different eras, vehicles from eras from chariots to racecars to space ships, environments with rocks and trees and roads and rivers, creatures from horses and other mounts to cute bunnies and birds through zombies and orcs through epic bosses.  For UI art often that means the full suite of UI controls in a number of different styles. For pixel art collections of objects through a range of viewpoints in a number of styles.  Building a diverse portfolio takes time.

Knowing Java or Visual Basic won't be particularly helpful in getting the job since you likely won't be touching code, even though it may help you understand discussions with others in the company.  You will be expected to know how to use the tools, which includes learning how to work within Unity or Unreal to configure your art assets to use in the game, but that's easily taught and every project has some time allowance for working with the tool chain. You will also be expected to have a solid understanding of other tools like Photoshop, Maya or 3D Studio Max (or both), ZBrush, or similar depending on the role and the company.

Depending on your circumstances a degree may be out, but if you're in a position to get the formal education then take advantage of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement