🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What's wrong..

Started by
3 comments, last by Quarter 22 years, 6 months ago
Everytime i try and compile anything todo with Bitmap, Jpeg loaders or anything that uses ddutil i get atleast 100 errors even if it's example sourcecode downloaded from GD, most common error i get is syntax error : identifier 'LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7' i'm using VC++ 6 and the latest DirectX 8.1 SDK. Edited by - Quarter on December 5, 2001 5:39:59 AM
Advertisement
#define D3DSDK_VERSION 0x0700
I''m not really a directx SDK user but did you included the file and the directdraw libraries?
Looks like your not linking with the propper libraries.

This is what you NEED to include for direct draw to work.

ddraw.h

You also need the following libraries.
dxguid.lib (needed for EVERY SINGLE THING THAT USES DIRECTX from Direct input to direct draw).
and ddraw.lib

Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
evaclear that is false, you dont need to include the dxguid.lib unless you dont #define INITGUID

also you odnt have to include ddraw.lib, because you can always loadlibrary("ddraw.lib"); GetProcAddress(libhandle, functioname); (the perferred method if the directx portion is optional, though you could always use CoCreateInstance() as well which is probally the best way since you have complete control and dont need to worry about which interface you will get since you will get the one you request)

oops one more thing, you only need dxguid.lib if you use the guids (for upgrading interfaces/using CoCreateInstance()) otherwise dxguid.lib does nothing for you.

realize that syntax errors have nothing to do with linking, only missing include files/code that isnot written properly.
quarter also make sure that whne you installed the dx8.1 sdk properly (try compiling dx8.1 samples) you have to make sure you tell vc which dx version you are trying to use like Ouselyi said.

Edited by - a person on December 5, 2001 2:09:36 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement