🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Migrating into the Industry

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 6 years ago

Greetings,

This is my first post on this site, so my apologies if I am posting this on the wrong forum/page.

My name is Bennett Wleklinski and I am attempting to break into the gaming industry in any of the following capacities: Project management, Production, Business Development or Marketing.
I attached my resume so you may see my bonafides', I will quickly recite my work history & qualifications before getting to my question.

Received a Bachelor's degree from the University of San Diego with a degree in Communication Studies and a minor in Marketing. It wasn't until my senior year that I came to the realization that my career aspirations lie in the video game industry. At this time I was an internship for a Sony owned music company - 'Stache Media (now RED Music) as a local grassroots marketer and account manager. 

Knowing I wanted to enter the industry, but having 0 prospects and a university that lacked any contacts or suggestions for how to connect to the industry, I accepted 1-year contract as a business development associate in Oman to build up my qualifications - I personally initiated and led some successful projects and was on track to continue moving up that corporate ladder but knew I wouldn't stay there long-term with my professional goal of entering the industry.
After a year my contract ended and rather than renewing it I accepted a 6-month internship as an operations officer with a VR start-up located in Frankfurt Germany, VR-First (actually, in the Crytek studio), primarily doing administrative, marketing and business development work. 

Here I am, many months after that internship, having returned to the US but have hit a roadblock on my path to entering the industry. I have been steadily sending out applications for the past 8 months to no avail. So finally, my question(s):

1) I'm not sure if this is how this forum operates... but if anyone is willing to critique my resume (I could attach a cover letter as well to provide my full 'application', although my cover letters are typically crafted for particular positions) and provide feedback that would be extremely helpful.
1B) If looking through my qualifications, you see gaps or have suggestions of other roles in the industry I should pursue, I would love to hear any suggestions. 

2) Does anyone have any recommendations of programs, certifications, degrees, etc. I may pursue that could help on this journey? I have no intention of getting a masters degree, but I am working towards my Project Management Professional Certification (working on the project hours currently) and am reading up on Project Management Methodologies (primarily, Agile). With that said I am willing to go back to University, but I'd prefer to do so outside the US though (for cost reasons). 

3) Money is tight, but does anyone suggest that I travel to various events around the country, including job fairs, to try and network? I know the importance of networking for such a desirable industry but I have found it difficult to justify the cost of traveling and attending such events. Any recommendations for specific events to network with or without spending $$ would be ideal. 

Thank yah and apologies if this post is in the wrong place.

Wleklinski, Bennett - Resume.pdf

Advertisement
5 hours ago, Kuhubulu-Bennett said:

I have been steadily sending out applications for the past 8 months

Can you give us more details about the method(s) you've been using? Also, I didn't look at your resume - what city are you presently located in?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I am currently located in Washington D.C. although I am more than willing and able to relocate.

My method has essentially been 'cold-applications'. I have made 1 contact who used to work as at EA (I got in contact with him about 2 weeks ago), but other than that I lack any real contacts in the industry. I am sending out applications to any company in the industry where a position looks promising.
I send in the application (Resume, Cover letter, Letters of Recommendation), then, if possible attempt to reach out to the hiring manager and then also sending a follow-up. 

Not exactly the most efficient, but until I learned of forums like this (which I learned about through my aforementioned EA contact) I lacked any guidance or pointers and just fell-back on the practices given by my University.

I hope this helps. Thanks. 

13 minutes ago, Kuhubulu-Bennett said:

I am currently located in Washington D.C.

That's a problem. Your best chances of employment are within 45 minutes of your place of residence. Take a look at gamedevmap and do a search on companies in DC, Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia. See what companies there may be within 45 minutes of your home. 

18 minutes ago, Kuhubulu-Bennett said:

I am more than willing and able to relocate.

That's a given, and it's not in the least bit helpful to your case. Read more on the "Location, Location, Location" rule.

19 minutes ago, Kuhubulu-Bennett said:

My method has essentially been 'cold-applications'.

Okay, but via what communication technology? Applying online to specific openings? Sending email based on specific openings? Or just sending in an application for "whatever job you may have open"? Read "the 10 stupid applicant tricks" and "barrier-busting tips" to improve your chances. For starters, you need to either move or focus your efforts on local opportunities only. 

Thank you for your feedback. I will look through the articles you sent and make adjustments accordingly... Although moving may be a challenge.

I am applying online. I 'locate' the job offers through websites, some like this and Indeed but more often than not its through the specific company's website. My applications are always sent through the company's website/job portal.

As you mentioned, I am applying online to specific job openings I find and feel qualified for. I have sent in a few 'general applications' but that is rare. 

OK. Read those articles. You can always post followups.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement