Advertisement

Pokemon remake Sprite question

Started by May 10, 2018 03:17 AM
5 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey guys i have a question regarding how the player walks into the "tall grass"..I am wondering how i make it so that the player doesn't look like it just walked right on top of the tile..

Generally speaking how would i make it so that the player looks like it walked THROUGH  the grass not ON TOP of the tile "grass" thanks guys this is really important to me because this is holding me back from developing this game :(

is there a separate sprite out there  for when the player walks in the grass? 

2422.png.gif.e2ac8e38bd5be82f0ef266ba4d13fb51.gif

i guess ill just cut the players legs off..

Advertisement

Hi, this is a forum, so it is slow; most of us are busy and can't respond immediately.

The problem you have is that no one is going to help you with this, what your doing is illegal. Pokemon is a registered IP, you can't re-make it without the IP holder's permission.

Nintendo is very protective over Pokemon and doesn't allow fan made games.

Now to be clear, this doesn't mean you can't make your own monster battle game, you just can't make Pokemon.

thanks for your reply.. i am just doing it for learning purposes..only reason why i am doing this is because all the artwork is online

"it is online" is not a valid reason. Copyright still applies, IP rights still apply. That holds both for the actual pixels and for the name. For you it's just fun, for them, it's an important source of income that they will defend heavily.

Do yourself a big favor, stay away from copyrighted pixels and names. Invent a new name, and find some art with a permissive license, or buy some for a few bucks.

As for your problem, first try to figure out what you need to show, then find a way to actually make it work that way. Last but not least, there are often radically different solutions that simply eliminate the entire problem from happening in the first place, like have a rule "only walk on paths".

2 hours ago, fnovello said:

i am just doing it for learning purposes..only reason why i am doing this is because all the artwork is online

OK, then I will first point to this: https://opengameart.org/ it's the number one free game art resources. You will find something even better there.

The way the grass effect is done is by having, a front and a back part of each grass tile. When the character moves some leaves sprites also appear near the player. It's like a player sandwich.

LongGrass.jpg.5057707529e6ed5e21d216eb43be996f.jpg

I hope you use this information to work on your own games, it's much more fun that way and has a lot less risk.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement