🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Landing a Game Dev Job thrgh portfolio NOT degree

Started by
14 comments, last by fastcall22 6 years, 1 month ago
1 hour ago, frob said:

Can you? Sure.

Just beware that you don't compete in a vacuum.  You are competing against all the other applicants.  You've got a rather limited pool of jobs, and are part of a large group of people who want to work in games.

When a game studio has a pile of applications to review they sort them by their own priority. First to be interviewed are those who are known.  Then are the people who have industry experience, sorted by experience. Then those who don't have industry experience but have strong credentials for the job, usually including both a degree and a portfolio or a specific technology the company needs. After that, people who have weaker credentials, which seems to be the bucket you are in.

There are situations where they skip farther down in the list, particularly when the job cannot pay well so the company is looking for a less experienced or less educated worker. It is usually not as pleasant for the job, but it is a way in to the industry so you can start gaining industry experience and industry contacts. 

Because you don't have the background you probably won't be the first person called in for an interview, or the second. Your application will likely be sorted quite far down the list, and probably ignored for most of the best positions because they have so many applicants with stronger backgrounds on paper.  Your best bet is to have friends and acquaintances who can get you past the barriers and get you the interview. Either way, once you're in the interview you're being compared with others who are also being interviewed.

You will have a more difficult time than many other applicants, and you probably will be passed over for most jobs, but jobs still exist and people in your situation are hired.  I'd be sure to apply to lots of other jobs, too.

Thanks for the advice man! 

Advertisement
7 hours ago, frob said:

Just beware that you don't compete in a vacuum.  You are competing against all the other applicants. 

And Florida studios probably get a lot of Full Sail grads applying. 

7 hours ago, frob said:

You will have a more difficult time than many other applicants, and you probably will be passed over for most jobs

Quoted for truth.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

10 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

And Florida studios probably get a lot of Full Sail grads applying. 

Quoted for truth.

Okay, fair enough. But I’ve also seen a lot of awful portfolio work from some lazy developers who go through full sail which companies know is just a money grab anyways, or so everywhere I read states it is.

I think I have a decent program coming out of Algonquin, by that I mean a good enough program that I can take my knowledge home and expand on it in my spare time. I’m not forced to go through a schedule you would expect to see in u university, these things are rlly dumbed down for students who “like hands on work” but rlly thats the way they make it feel worth it, it’s rlly just dumbed down uni. 

Luckily for me, going through this easy system called college here will end up giving me more time to expand on the content in class. I hope this gives you a fair deal of what my plan is. I surely am not relying on any diploma or degree, I simply aimed for this course as I decided to cut all the bull crap and go for my dream job in games, otherwise I would have just applied for compsci in uni like everyone else (I had the grades for that just not engineering) I will heavily rely on my name, my skills, my company (currently running a non-profit game organization), my protfoilo, and more. I guess my question is, do you think this is possible, forget about the degree troubles though as I rlly am not worried being stacked up against a guy with a degree, as I have 3 years in this course and a year to settle before my girlfriend obtaines her doctorate and I move to Florida. Is it fair for me to argue to you that I don’t believe a guy who spent four years in school where I spent three will get looked at because he had an extra year in school and has the “get done” attitudes they “assume” you have with a degree, I heavily believe that the times are changing that one year difference won’t have me struggling to much, bc if I can’t ontain the skills they can obtain in 4 years in 3, I will gladly say I was wrong and work those small dead end jobs, but otherwise I would expect to be chosen over them , is that wrong? I don’t know much about the industry and I don’t know if it’s corrupt so. Anyhow thank you for your time you seem to have a lot of experience so l am happy to be able to talk about this with you. Cheers. 

Edit: 

alao don’t think from this post that I’m assuming I’ll be the best, I don’t mean that by any means. I can accept when I’m wrong and when I’m not talented enough but I also give myself the chance to achieve greatness first. 

4 hours ago, Bradley Latreille said:

Is it fair for me to argue to you that I don’t believe a guy who spent four years in school where I spent three will get looked at because he had an extra year in school and has the “get done” attitudes they “assume” you have with a degree,

You can argue what you want. You can believe what you want. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Alright, guess we’re done here.  OP has requested this thread be closed.  If anybody would like to continue this discussion, please open a new thread.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement