🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

FF7's real-time SFX synthesis

Started by
0 comments, last by Phanoo 6 years, 2 months ago

Hello

I've worked a bit recently to find how Final Fantasy VII creates its sound effects. Everyone remember of FF7 right ? :DThe PC version is quite boring - all effects are sampled as wave files. But the Playstation generates them in real time which is a really interesting thing to reverse engineer. Maybe it'll give ideas to some of us, I'm not aware of any indie game having such a system for its sound effects (if there are, please tell me !). It has the advantage of taking very little space compared to sampled sounds, and may helps creativity/sound identity of the game. Of course it has the drawback of being a little harder to implement than plain sample playback.

After several days of work i've understood most of the fomat and released the tool you see below. It's able to playback the sounds from the game and show the commands used :)
If you want to learn more : http://sdamo.io/ff7/

Also, I'd be interested into creating a sound engine like that for an indie game. Ideally C or C++ but i'm open to any languages. Send me a message if interested :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement