🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Apples Mania : Apple Catcher , my first complete Game ! Looking for feedback.

Started by
3 comments, last by CrazyApplesStudio 6 years, 2 months ago

Hello,

I managed to finish my first Android Game from A-Z in about 2 months, the game was planed to be an endless game since as a solo Dev i thought it would be easier to finish , it was created using Unity/blender3d and i made everything except for the music tracks.

Currently i am looking for feedback, especially about mechanics and game play, especially since i found out this is the hardest thing while developing as and indie , i seem to be able to get 0 feedback from most communities i posted in so i hope i will have more luck here.

A short game play trailer:

The game is Free and available on Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyApplesStudio.ApplesMania

So feel free to comment , critiques are appreciated, even if they are harsh, since that is what will help me improve the game.

Also the website for the project : http://crazyapplesstudio.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ApplesStudio

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApplesManiaX/

Advertisement

It's a nice effort for a first game!

I would recommend a few things.

• "Poison apples" in the game would be cool. They could randomly drop from time to time and perhaps the players job is to avoid catching them, if they do then maybe it could make the box shrink for 10 seconds or something like that.
  • A progression mode would be cool. Where the tree starts small and not many apples fall. Then as you're playing the tree keeps growing and more and more apples fall.
  • The sliding movement of the box is very linear, it could be nice if it had a tiny bit of tweening so when you move the box sideways it has a very slight rubber banding effect. Or maybe when the player moves the box it moves at a slower rate to start with and goes faster the further across they move it. I'm only talking very very subtle changes but they would make the movement feel a lot nicer.
  • The design could be tweaked so there is contrast between the main background and the tree/apples/box. You could try making subtle changes to the background, playing with blur, saturation, brightness, that sort of thing, to give a bit of contrast. Look at Angry Birds original game as a good example, their background had a slight bit of blur and lighter colours whereas the foreground of the birds and objects have crisp edges and striking colours. It's only subtle but makes a big difference. I think your game would benefit from that.
  • Also; is there no sound in the game? There isn't in the preview video, would definitely benefit from some really nice sounds.

Hope that helps :)

Here for the fun.

Hello satchgames, thank you for taking the time and for your feedback .

Regarding your points:

•  I agree and plan to test this mechanics in the near future to at least see if it is feasible.
  • The progression is there except the visuals which is a great idea, i might try to implement it if i figure out how to make it :D , the progression is logarithmic by the way and increases the apple fall speed and frequency of spawn as you progress.
  • The box moves by taping , not clear in the video i guess , but i had to switch from swipe to tap as it was impossible to move as the speed progressed and be able to catch the apples and not die, so this is probably impossible with the current implementation.
  • I agree 100% , i started working on this with the last 2 updates , changing the green apple to yellow and other color tweaks, and will take a look at what you suggested for more inspiration.
  • The android screen capture i used has trouble capturing audio so it can only record it trough the microphone , i am working on the new store package that corresponds to the version i updated a couple of days ago and this has audio to.

I forgot the google play package was not yet updated so i am going to attach 2 screenshots to show the current state of the game:

Screenshot_20180417-150737.jpg

Screenshot_20180417-150803.jpg

Finally updated the entire store package and the video:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement