🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Remote IP Protection

Started by
6 comments, last by N1njaSt0rm 6 years, 2 months ago

Hello, very new here. What are some protections I can take towards developing a game with a remote team? I mean as in employee agreements and what not to tell my employees and whatever else to protect my game? And also, what are some legal protections I can enforce, to protect my game? 

Advertisement

You'll need appropriate contracts, and possibly a non disclosure agreement.  This if really something you need to discuss with a lawyer.

If you can't afford to deal with a lawyer, you won't be able to afford enforcing your contracts and there's no real point having them.

Some people use Contract() rather than speaking to a lawyer, but I've heard that it may produce contracts that aren't necessarily worthwhile or enforceable.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Seconded. Have a lawyer with game industry experience help you with your NDAs and Development Agreements and Contractor Agreements, who knows how to write appropriate IP ownership clauses. There is a sticky listing some lawyers here in this board.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

10 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Seconded. Have a lawyer with game industry experience help you with your NDAs and Development Agreements and Contractor Agreements, who knows how to write appropriate IP ownership clauses. There is a sticky listing some lawyers here in this board.

Do you know how can I look for it? Im very new here, just joined the site. Do I just search lawyers? This is very tricky, because Im based  in Washington, DC. Not too many lawyers with experience here. 

4 hours ago, Aunni Watkins said:

Do you know how can I look for it? Im very new here, just joined the site. Do I just search lawyers?

If you came here from the gamedev.net   Forums / Business / Games Business and Law  forum, hit the Back button on your browser. It's at GameDev.net / Forums / Business / Games Business and Law forum. Just visually scan the topics near the top, They're marked with a green pin. Read the top one and the bottom one.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

7 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

If you came here from the gamedev.net   Forums / Business / Games Business and Law  forum, hit the Back button on your browser. It's at GameDev.net / Forums / Business / Games Business and Law forum. Just visually scan the topics near the top, They're marked with a green pin. Read the top one and the bottom one.

I appreciate you so very much for this. Thank you!

A lot will depend on if it is a remote team in the same country or remote team with international members.  If it is in the same country a good contract will be pretty strong.  If its international, then in most cases the contract is only as good as the persons word.  If you meet the team members on some freelancer site, you can use that.  the potential loss of future income when you can't get any more jobs from a community, or just the general shunning, can be a pretty powerful tool if needs be. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement