🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which grad school should I look at?

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm new here, so I apologize If this isn't the right place to post this. I'm an overseas student from Africa and will be going to the U.K (on a student visa) at mid-September of this year to start my 4 year course In CS (It's a bachelors, but 4 years because the third year involves me working at a company If I can manage to get a placement.). For personal reasons, I'd rather start my career in gamedev in the U.S rather than any other location. From what I understand, going to a good grad school for a masters in gamedev in the U.S is the best and shortest way for me to increase the chances of getting a job there. So although I know that a masters In gamedev isn't needed and I perfectly understand why people would advise against getting one, given my current situation and understanding of how to get into the video game making industry (In the U.S), going to a grad school In America is the most efficient way to increase the chances of me getting a job at a game studio in the U.S (Though If you do know otherwise, I'll appreciate the advice).

With that said, I'll get into It. The grad schools on my radar are SMU: Guildhall and DigiPen. For someone who's interested in game programming (possibly specializing In AI), graphics programming or game design as a career in the industry, in terms of job prospects and academic standard, which graduate program is the best? On top of that,  I took a look at the recent Princeton Review for the top 25 graduate programs for gamedev. If anyone could comment on what the program (job prospects, academic standard, etc.) and lifestyle at any of the other schools is like (I.e not SMU and DigiPen), I'd massively appreciate It. Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post.

Advertisement
10 hours ago, TheMightyPenguin said:

From what I understand, going to a good grad school for a masters in gamedev in the U.S is the best and shortest way for me to increase the chances of getting a job there.

Where did you hear that? I'm not saying it can't work, but where did you get the understanding that grad school is "the best and shortest way" to up your chances?

The grad schools on my radar are SMU: Guildhall and DigiPen.

Okay, so you have narrowed your choices down to 2. Having only 2 to choose between will make it easy to make a decision grid.  Maybe too easy. You could add 1 or 2 from that Princeton Review list. Make sure "proximity to how many game companies" is a high-weight part of your decision, since your ultimate goal is "break into the industry in the US." Choose the school with the most game companies nearby, provided that the school also satisfies your other requirements reasonably well.

interested in game programming (possibly specializing In AI), graphics programming or game design

Since it's not uncommon for schools to misuse the term "game design" in order to attract students, you need to dig deeper and look at course titles and syllabi to make sure GD is really taught at the candidate school. 

Grad school can possibly lead to a job, but only if you pay attention to the details. And if you're lucky. Be prepared with an alternate plan if job offers don't come. One more thought: look at the length of the program (in years) and see when you might finish the degree. Will you finish the degree under the current anti-immigrant administration, or is there a chance there will be a new president by then? And if there is a new president, will the new guy/girl have had time to undo the current administration's anti-immigrant policies? 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

9 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Where did you hear that? I'm not saying it can't work, but where did you get the understanding that grad school is "the best and shortest way" to up your chances?

Thanks for the info. About grad school being the "best and shortest option", from what I understand, upon finishing the undergrad course It's really difficult for an overseas graduate like me to make it into the industry in the U.S (I'll be studying in the U.K but would most likely head back to my country where the CS and gamedev industry is in Its infancy.) If I'm not present there. After I get my BSC in CS, I was advised that If I want to improve my chances of landing a job at a game studio in the U.S while not spending unnecessary additional funds and 3 to 4 years studying for a bachelor course focused on gamedev for a total of 7 to 8 years of study, I should consider doing a grad program in the U.S since It's not as long as an undergarduate one, requires fewer funds and grants me the opportunity of livng In the U.S with the additional advantage of networking through school fairs and at conferences like GDC. Though If there are any better ways to do It, I'd appreciate the advice. I was told the above option is the best.

2 hours ago, TheMightyPenguin said:

I was told the above option is the best.

By whom? Someone in the industry, in the US? Or someone not in the industry, or not from the US?  Not important. The main thing is, while it might or might not get you a US job, the degree will be an eye opener as well as a doorway to a likely interesting future. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement