🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3d moddeling: tips and tricks

Started by
1 comment, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 3 months ago

Hello, everybody! I have a little problem. I was modelling a highpoly model and realised that some of my belts are very thin. So can i use just a plane as a low poly object for them. I've never used a planar objects for lowpoly, but i think that if I will use them I need to have a separate material for them, because it should be doublesided.

Безымянный.png

Advertisement
1 hour ago, G-Dot said:

but i think that if I will use them I need to have a separate material for them, because it should be doublesided.

The idea is to never use planer objects for 3D models. They are good for effects and things where the players can't see the back, for everything else a 3D shape is better.

By turning your material to double sided you will double the polycount also. For this reason when ever you do use them, with a net for example, you often just copy the polygons and flip them.

The belt should be a cube, this will result in 4 times the poly count but will be a better model, if it clips into the body you can remove the back faces.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement