🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Portfolio 3D artist feedback and advice

Started by
3 comments, last by SibylSystem 6 years, 2 months ago

Hi all ! 

My name is Sebastian, I am 31 and I am a german 3D Art student and I would like to become a 3D artist. I am currently looking for first position as a 3D Artist (ideally Environment Art) and I need feedback for my portfolio. So, it would be great if you could help smile.png

I am attaching the link to my website below.

www.artstation.com/sebastianbaer

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Sebastian

Advertisement

Hey. Your art looks good. For a student, it's a great start.

Some comments:

- The fantasy city is nice, but there is not really any animation (like character animation) so the video may hurt more than it helps. Recruiters may get bored half-way into the video and close it and that may not make a good impression. It would probably be better to have just a few high-res images as the video compression looked bad to me and didn't show the art in it's best light.

- The villa was also cool, but I would avoid using Unreal default assets (the robot) as it makes it look amateur.

- The other pieces were okay to me, but I think it would help to have untextured lighting only shots and also wireframes.

- If you are trying to go into games, you should show better optimized models. For example, the robot at 15k tris seems way too complex, especially the feet and the bottles in the middle (which could be just a flat texture), and if you are going to show a wireframe, it should be impressive (meaning optimized for real-time).

Overall, though, I think it shows a lot of potential and I wish you the best of luck.

Hey there,

Thanks for your feedback, which was helpfull indeed. I optimized my portfolio based on the feedback I got.

Further feedback on what could be improved would be nice and is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Sebastian

Awesome! It looks a lot better.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement