🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can someone sue me if my art was inspired by his art?

Started by
3 comments, last by CrazyApplesStudio 6 years, 3 months ago

So I've hired a 2d artist for my game which is very good at drawing and asked him to draw characters in a particular style that I like, basically telling him "I like this characters, please take a lot of inspiration from them".

Really, the thing that is similar is the style, but obviously I have the fear that the original "inventor" could potentially sue us.

Here is the one of the original pictures:

a077c5e44bbd23af4e9b581350a3c69a--game-of-trones-iron-throne.jpg.4ddadd50700edbb1148569709751041a.jpg

And here is what my artist drew for me:

medium_male_dressed.png.9fc4dc9e84710d5fd22cbda50ca7dcf6.png

short_male_dressed.png.bb96a52d9e6688162a541dcd96121b33.png

tall_male_dressed.png.8a85321d1c1c408f747a4dff29c9da79.png

Obviosly the the reason why I can't hire the original author is that he's too costly for me, it's not affordable to pay him.

As you see the style is really similar, but really there isn't anything "copied", my artist just recreated new stuff in his style.

What do you think? should I be worried?

Thank you,

Leonardo

Advertisement

Yes, anybody can sue you for any reason. If you're worried about your graphics looking too similar to the "inspiration" piece, Make changes to it. Colors, for example.

But I don't think it's likely that the artist is going to sue - those concepts all look different from the original. That said, I am not a lawyer, and you shouldn't act upon my opinion as if it was legal advice.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Inspiration comes from many different places, including other artists. As long as you don't directly copy their art and put it into your game, you should be fine. 

The 2 don't look similar to me in any way, but i second Tom Sloper you can be sued for anything, in this case i highly doubt the case would have any grounds, but consulting a lawyer is always the advice for this kind of dilemma if you want to be sure.

My personal opinion is you have nothing to worry , and i doubt the style was invented by the creator of that image , and i also wonder if he was as worried about HBO and George Martin suing him for depicting The Hound.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement