🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking to Pursue a Career in Game Developement

Started by
4 comments, last by GeneralJist 6 years, 4 months ago

I have been trying to learn the process of game development for a long time. I have mostly done hobby projects so far, nothing serious. In school, I am always that guy who nearly sleeps during class, and still gets an A+ on every assignment. When I started learning how to program, it came very naturally to me, and it wasn't long before I was way ahead of my classes. This is probably because I spend so much of my free time tinkering with things such as Unity, while my classmates just do the bare minimum in order to pass. I can do shaders even, which I have taught myself how to do using tutorials I found online (Catlike Coding ftw).

I think one of the main issues I have, however, is that I am not going to have a fancy enough diploma to go where I want to go. I am only going to a community college, and I will only receive an Associates in Programming. Though I feel that I am an advanced programmer who is very capable, I am worried that my degree is lackluster and might be an issue when I am finally graduated and am looking for work. Or maybe, I have only seen the tip of the iceberg so far, and I only THINK that I am good at programming. It could be that there is a lot of stuff I haven't even seen yet, because my education hasn't covered advanced topics. When I graduate at the end of this Summer, I am certain I will get a job of some sort since programmers are in high demand, but I question what sort of job. My goal is to work on video games, probably with graphics or something like that. Am I doomed to never achieving this silly dream of mine? Should I go back to school and get even more education? Or do you think I am good enough to get a job with the skills that I've got?

Advertisement
16 hours ago, Innoc uous said:

I am only going to a community college, and I will only receive an Associates in Programming.

You are correct in thinking that an Associates degree is not enough. Transfer to an affordable 4-year school and get a Bachelors degree.

Am I doomed to never achieving this silly dream of mine?

Only if you allow yourself to wallow in your fears and don't pursue your not-silly dream in a realistic way.

Should I go back to school and get even more education?

Yes.

Or do you think I am good enough to get a job with the skills that I've got?

It's not about you being "good enough." It's about your resume not being good enough. You'll also need a portfolio that demonstrates that you should be hired.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Yes, I'd echo what Tom said, specifically about getting a bachelor's.

Since your coasting through your classes, the question becomes what are you doing with your time?

Sounds like you have a good start, shaders are no easy task.

Sounds like you need to be a little more proactive with your education, if advanced topics aren't covered, then stay after, and ask the prof/ teacher what more you can learn and do. 

If you go to a 4 year, you can find research labs and such, I don't think community college has any of those.

Do all you can to make yourself stand out.

A friend of mine got an offer to go to a very prestigious college, he decided not to go, and chose a mid tier local school instead. He could have had a name brand school on his resume, and be a big fish in a bigger pond, if only he would have left his comfort zone.  And now, no one will know just how far he could have gotten.

I'm not a programmer, but from what I've seen, Associates are not enough to get into games straight off the bat. 

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

23 hours ago, GeneralJist said:

Associates are not enough to get into games straight off the bat. 

Jobs don't exist in a vacuum, we all compete against those around us.  Depending on the location on the globe it may be more than enough, particularly when the person has a strong portfolio. 

In much of the United States, applicants generally have a 4-year degree so applicants need it to compete unless there is something truly exceptional that bypasses the HR filters. But even then, if nobody is applying for the job or they otherwise cannot fill the position, a studio may take someone with less education..

Sorry,

I was assuming he is in the US. 

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement