🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Stardew Valley type game suggestions

Started by
1 comment, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 4 months ago

Hi. So I've been inspired by Stardew Valley to create a Medival town simulator where there is no main goal but with many things to do. The game engine I'm using is Unity. I'm going to list some features in no particular order that I want to add and I'd really appreciate any feedback or suggestions for this game. Thanks!

- Townspeople with their own schedules, backgrounds, skills, etc
- Own a bar
- Own a brewery
- Own a farm
- Fish
- Mine
- Smithing
- Crafter
- Woodsmen 
- Hunt
- Construction
- Hire NPCs to work for you

I want to get really in-depth with each "job" and make the village feel alive. Also, I know that the scope of this project is high but I am confident that I can stick with it.

Advertisement

Markets where you sell goods. Harvest Moon Grand Bazaar is still one of the most popular Harvest Moon games.

Cooking, don't make a farming game where players can't cook. Harvest Moon 64 was greatly criticized because it didn't have cooking.

Socializing and random socializing events. Rune Factory (Fantasy Harvest Moon) does this very well.

As you can tell I play a huge amount of Harvest Moon games; big fan. One problem they all share is that time is too limiting. The more the game has for the player to do, the more time they need to enjoy the game.

Rune Factory 2 was the worst at this, a player practically had to plan every move in advance; preventing the player from exploring and enjoying the game.

Have you ever had the chance to play Sims Medieval? They had some interesting town management and events in it. Not the best game but worth a play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement