🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Change career path to GameDev

Started by
3 comments, last by Katie 6 years, 4 months ago

Hello,

I have 3 years experience in mobile software dev. I always wanted to work in GameDev and make games but unfortunately I had not so many opportunities to do it. During my computer science studies I learned basics needed to work as software developer. After my graduation I get job easily as a iOS developer. It is good job, well paid, but it is not what I always wanted to do. I feel that I'm missing something, wasting my life for inapropriate things. Now my life is more stable, I have money to live and I want to try start making games for real. 

I heard gamedev is hard and not paid good. Is it true that you have to work much more than in software dev? Is it true that people accept to earn less and work more because they love to do it so much? And they usually have to stay late in work?

How much time I need to learn to work as junior PC game developer? Should I quit my job to follow dreams? Or It is to much risk?

I recently released a small game for iOS as a warm-up. I don't think I want to make mobile games. They looks so limited with gameplay and controlling. I read that mobile game market is saturated and it is very hard to live from it.

Please, give me some advices :)

Thanks!

Advertisement

Hi there!

The best thing you can do is to look for an open position near your area, given that there are some game companies around, get yourself invited for an interview, ask them all kinds of questions (about working hours, crunches, etc.) and decide if you really want to take it :) Also, how's your C++?

Of course don't go blindly and prepare seriously, as for any job interview. I just wanted to say that the final decision is up to both you and the employer. And you'll learn how things go on the interview.

Also, go meet indie developers in your area, if possible, some of them will know (or even be) full-time employees at studios, they'll tell you details of the daily developer's life.

I work for a bigger studio in Central Europe, my salary is competitive (but you bet it's lower than classmates doing software for telecom or banks), I work 8 hours a day, colleagues are great, working premises are great, some perks are great, there are tons of ice-cream and I do (kinda) what I like :) So far I haven't decided to go away from GameDev (5 years).

Also, do expect crunches around important milestones and releases, however, our company doesn't force anyone too much - it's more a synergic effect that everyone wants to pull the same rope for the same goal and finally finish it, when crunch happens. Crunch = usually free pizza and paid overtime. If they push too much, people might run away. Can't talk about other studios (not even in my city), I'm not exactly sure how they manage crunching.

Before releasing our game in the autumn 2016, I spent several Saturdays and very few Sundays at work during the summer when we were finishing it, and I stayed later (~10 hours instead of 8) during working days when totally needed. It was exhausting but survivable, given it happens only once in a few years. Plus when anyone simply couldn't work extra (family issues, health issues), they simply didn't. Our company seems to obey all regulations. Other studios' experience may vary :)

Does that help?

Thanks for reply. It was very helpful.

My C++ is average I think. Before studies I read basic C++ book and during studies finished some simple games. For example: snake, tetris, puzzle game,  simple platform game with tile map editor. I really enjoyed doing this. For now, I bought C++ book for repetition and to learn new standard (I was learning C++ 98) - The C++ Language by Bjarne Stroustrup.

"during studies finished some simple games."

That's quite an important selling point; you've got dev background and can implement games.

"During my computer science studies I learned basics needed to work as software developer. After my graduation"

And some education but not too much.

"My C++ is average I think."

And a sense of proportion[1]. If I was in the business of hiring game devs, you just made the "phone interview" stage on that basis.[2]

Go meet indies like pcmaster says -- if you can find some ex-studio people see if you can talk them into some mock interviews to practice.

[2] Actually you'd get the same decision here, because I am bored of seeing CVs from people with two doctorates and a fifteen year career in academia faffing about with exotic type theories but no actual industry experience of shovelling code into a project...

[1] Too many people are already code gods who don't need to learn anything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement