🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Art Program

Started by
6 comments, last by Robert_Lamp 5 years, 9 months ago

Just wanted to get the opinion from fellow game developers on what their favorite art program for creating 2D assets is. Mine would be Medibang Paint Pro.

//Dre Reid\\

Advertisement

Krita. :D Btw I never tried Medibang so I might will have a look on that one as well.

Nice , i also have krita and mypaint installed in case medibang goes bad. It's a cool program but one of the main turn offs for me is that it has no option to select multiple layers.

//Dre Reid\\

I really haven't tried a lot of them, but GIMP has been pretty good for my 2D Art needs for more detailed work, but for classic-style sprites I actually prefer using MS Paint. Anything that's meant to look 32-bit and under, I use MS Paint for.

My only gripe is that it doesn't support layers, but it's so lightweight that my aging laptop can still run it without dying from memory leaks (or so I assume they are)  and you really don't need every tool that comes in a lot of bigger editing tools like Photoshop and Krita. At least, not when you're doing sprites in a 16-bit or 32-bit style.

But, hey, that's just my opinion.

Blender!  Seriously!  I've never learned to really draw 2d art in pixels, vectors, or otherwise.  I get more "acceptable" art out of pre-rendering 3d models instead.  I'm not the only one either.  Of course, I think unless I get better at it, I'd likely hire out my art for a commercial product, but at the least my programmer looks better that way than if I did it in 2d directly.

If I ever really wanted to get good at pixel art, Cosmigo Pro Motion would be my way to go.  It is considered the "top-tier" by many due to a massive feature set that is entirely dedicated to pixelling.  It has a little more learning curve than other software though, and since there are free programs that are "good enough" for the job, it doesn't get as much use as it could get.  But among those willing to invest I think it gets the highest usage out of anything.

Photoshop all the way. 

Checkout my Premium Avatar Creator: http://bit.ly/2GE5Fd7  

Blender! As for me Best!

Game design services - https://tsymbals.com/3d-services/game-design/ from Tsymbals Design

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement