🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for school to attend

Started by
7 comments, last by lordconstant 6 years, 5 months ago

Hi I’m looking for a school to attend for game development and design online.

i have a large interest in wanting to learn game development and programming and design but I don’t have the time or schools close enough to me for an on campus education since my current job has me travel rather often all over the country.

id prefer one without liberal arts and get right into the core aspects of the major but it seems most schools love them way too much right now.

if anyone has any suggestions for schools to look into that would allow me to get my bachelors and be able to possibly find a job in the field please let me know

Advertisement

1. An online Bachelors degree is not going to unlock a game job for you. You say you already have a job - how many years, what kind of work?

2. Having a resume is sort of a substitute for having a diploma (sometimes). You said "game development and design" but that's extremely broad. You could build a portfolio of a game dev specialty (programming, or art, or design, for instance) that, together with the right resume, could get you into a game job. Do you have a specialty in mind yet?

3. Were you planning to take the degree program to learn rather than to get the piece of paper? I just realized that's a bunch of questions, so I've numbered them.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1. Currently I work in a shipyard have been for the past 3 years with a few previous years in retail at a theme park.

2. The areas I’m most interested in are design and programming. Design I’ve enjoyed in the very small bit of experience I have as I can actually get the ideas I have for games out where players can see them and programming simply due to it being a big destresser for me, I’ve come to enjoy the challenges that come with programming and debugging.

3. As far as getting a degree goes, I’m a firm believer that paper will only get you but so far but actual viable proof that you know what your doing will get you ten times further, so no it’s not for the fancy paper but rather for the more formal instruction on the languages and the practical side of things that I’m looking to get. Paper can look great but final product can be terrible if you can’t back up the paper.

1. That resume shows that you are someone who's not afraid to work, and know how to hold down a job, and can be relied upon. 

2. Programming is much more in demand than design. You should pursue what you're more passionate about, but I'm just saying.

3. Working to get a degree now at your stage of life will impress hirers greatly. If you want to pursue programming, then the degree is necessary (assuming you are in North America or western Europe). But it doesn't have to be a game degree - it should be Computer Science. As for game design, read my articles.

7 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

1. That resume shows that you are someone who's not afraid to work, and know how to hold down a job, and can be relied upon. 

2. Programming is much more in demand than design. You should pursue what you're more passionate about, but I'm just saying.

3. Working to get a degree now at your stage of life will impress hirers greatly. If you want to pursue programming, then the degree is necessary (assuming you are in North America or western Europe). But it doesn't have to be a game degree - it should be Computer Science. As for game design, read my articles.

I have my bachelors for computer science with a major in computer network manegment, while I’ve been trying to learn programming from C++ for dummies but I’m not to sure as how well that is and have been trying to find a more formal education in the language as well as others. As for pursuing programming I’m looking more tours wanting to do gameplay programming as it puts it more at the forefront of the game. While I enjoy designing, programming seems to be the best fit for me as it’s relaxing and fairly easy to pick up for me if learning byond’s dreammaker language from some source code that I was given and no instruction is any indication.

4 hours ago, MidnightFoxGaming said:

I have my bachelors for computer science

Then you don't need another degree. You need to make a portfolio that shows you are worth hiring. You can take courses to learn material necessary to make the portfolio, but a whole 'nother degree would be overkill, in your situation.

1 hour ago, Tom Sloper said:

Then you don't need another degree. You need to make a portfolio that shows you are worth hiring. You can take courses to learn material necessary to make the portfolio, but a whole 'nother degree would be overkill, in your situation.

Where would you recommend starting to learn the material in terms of courses or books. As I said earlier what bit I know currently is just from a small game I got to dissect which was a proprietary language and the bit I’ve learned from the one book I have currently for C++

If you want to learn c++ I would recommend grabbing Unreal Engine & trying to implement game mechanics in it. Right now its a popular engine so would look good on your resume & you can get alot if help on their forums if you get stuck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement