🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Degree or not Degree that is the question

Started by
18 comments, last by The new guy 22 years, 6 months ago
I don''t have a degree...and I even have a real job as a programmer.
But guess what, I''m finally heading back into the world of academia next fall. Why?
1) Recessions suck.
2) Working sucks. You''ve got the rest of your life to work, don''t rush in.
3) Learning rules, even if it''s not necessarily about computers (and more so if it is )
4) At interviews I''d like to present myself as an intelligent software engineer and not some home-brewed hacker.
5) There are a lot of jobs besides making games, and I''d like to be able to fall back on those if necessary. Many require a degree.
6) This whole industry is going to only get more competitive (just look at what a lot of the teenagers on this site are capable of). Why sell yourself short?

"So crucify the ego, before it''s far too late. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical, and you will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that''s imagined and all conceivable."
- Tool
------------------------------
"There is no reason good should not triumph at least as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they're organized along the lines of the mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut
Advertisement
Thanks for the replies, Most of you seem to think getting a degree is better.....So do I personally, but I''ve been looking more in the "help wanted" forum on this site and saw that 3 people try to pick guys that don''t have a degree.

Some people say that you should spend the time (and the money) for learning, making small games and making or joining a team.

So it seems you can''t go right either way.

(Yes, I am talking about Programming)
Definitely get a degree. Just make sure you major in the field of study. It sounds like Ibanez may have chosen the wrong major. If you major in programming or software engineering you will have the best chance for success. Plus look into co-op work programs that let you alternate work and study terms. This allows you to get experience as well as get paid while getting your degree. This usually also turns into a job offer when you graduate. Besides, you can always teach yourself the game programming side in your spare time and with university courses under your belt, understanding will probably come much quicker.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
My vote goes in for: Get the degree. If you have the time now, get the education. You never know how things will be in the future (marrage, kids, etc - ofcourse depending on your circumstances) and you might not have the time available. Also, depending on the institution, you should have available to you an internship/coop where you can gain 12 to 16 months (as it is where I live) of work experience in the desired area of your choice.
The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.
I''d definitely recommend getting the degree. I''m taking CS at the Uni of Waterloo. Although I''m just coming to the end of my first term at uni (finals are EVIL by the way), I can honestly say that I have learned a great deal already; the theory (and math) you learn is really valuable.

If you can get into a co-op program (I''m not sure how common they are in the states, but here in Waterloo, everything''s co-op) then do so, because then you get your university/college education along with a few years of work experience (and it''s REAL work experience too, not just photocoping ). Not to mention you get paid, so you can actually _afford_ to go to school too.

scott
In Game Development degrees don''t mean to much to the company hiring you. If there is a job opening for a 3D engine programmer, and you and 1 other guy are the best, and know exactly the same things on the topic (never will happen, will always be better or worse then the person), exact same social skills, exact same experience, exact same race, exact same gender, then it eventually comes down to, who has the degree.

That being said, degrees also offer a great feeling of accomplishment, you will love that degree when you finish college, you will hate it when you get student loan bills for the rest of your life, but you will like it at first!

If you want to be one of the best development studios around, leasing your engine that is on par if not better then Epic and id''s, then sorry to say, you don''t have time for college. Have you seen what is coming out in 2002, 2003, 2004? Where are to the point of Shrek and Antz. Shrek had an order of magnitude of 100x the poly count on everything in comparison to Antz. Had 10x the animation muscles, and applied to every part of the body, not just the face. Had realistic cloth animation, perfectly dynamic lighting, a great particle engine, and great physics to boot.. in fact it was a completely revolutionary step beyond Antz. But compare the 2 side by side.. you may notice one or 2 spots where shrek looks better.. but for the most part they look almost identical. If you want to have the best graphical engine around, you better have started a year ago and have ideas no one else even thought of.

But if you are just looking for a normal programming job, around 75K a year (being optimistic) have a pretty good house, pretty good car, and retire when you are 70 or so. You need a degree. If you are going to work for someone else, and you are not going to be in the game development business then you need a degree. But if you are positive you are going to spend the rest of your life as a game developer and/or create your own business you do not need a degree.

EVERYTHING college can teach you for 40k you can learn in books for less then 1k, and then some. But in almost every business except the game business, no one cares if you are Jesus Christ of what you do if you don''t have a degree. It is sad that we are judged by how much we spend on our "education" and not by what we know, but life is sad.
"All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors." -Anon.
One last thing to put in, on-line colleges are GREAT.

Not only are they highly respected degrees, but you can get your masters in 1/10th the time of a normal college. Each class is 5 weeks long, 1 test per week, you can be enrolled in as many classes as you feel you can handle. So if you had no job, and didn''t sleep you could probally do an entire masters degree in a year. Of course everything has its downside.. and online colleges are usually about 1k$ per class (but if you get a job before you do it, you can usually get your employer to pay for it ).
"All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors." -Anon.
Get the degree. No one can take it away from you. Certainly the non-degreed but experienced coders might get the job ahead of you, but won''t likely get the promotions - especially in this corporate world. And should you get board with coding after 20 years - or more likely downsized and can''t find coding work because you aren''t up to speed on the latest language - you can use that degree to move into another field - like education or something. Lastly, there''s more to the coursework required for a university level degree than just technical studies. If you attend a decent institution you might even learn about other fields like history and literature and you might even learn how to write English compostions too. One of the first rules of program design is to understand the problem - having some background in other areas - like biology for example - will help you with that aspect of coding.

I''m going to beat a dead horse and say Get a degree!. It will open a lot more doors for you than learning at home. You will go farther than someone without a degree because instead of just programming, which you would concentrate on at home, you''d learn Software Engineering, which is completely different.

Also, your classmates will(might) become valuable contacts in the work world.

As for Uni. being free in Denmark, its not. Its just that its tuition is included in your taxes, and everyone else''s. While its not free, thats still a better way to pay than taking massive debts.

University is a fountain of knowledge, and students go there to drink
Well since I''m from Canada it is different schooling wise, well not entirely but basically yes. Next year I will be attending a college called Fanshawe taking computer programmer analyst with co-op and this course is great it covers C++, VB, JAVA, DX and OpenGL which I find covers more than some universities around here and the course is about 3-4 years which isn''t bad. Co-op is definatly the way to go, i''ve seen friends offered jobs in places as far as Cali before they even are completed their course. Also i''m from Ontario. So College or University is definatly the way to go. You experience alot more than you are fiddling around making apps at home, for example a friend of mine is going to school with me and going through for the same course so we are going to begin a project next fall and continue it throughout our college education, how far it will go and how many times we scrap it, only time will tell, but it will be fun to do and hopefully produce a nice end product when we are done.

Geoff

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement