🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Degree or not Degree that is the question

Started by
18 comments, last by The new guy 22 years, 6 months ago
Some people say get a Degree, because it will help you get jobs and get recognised, but other people say forget about it, it doen't help very much and you can study from classes or home anyway (I know this is being discussed in another post) What are your thoughts? Edited by - The new guy on December 3, 2001 3:28:49 AM
Advertisement
This is the way I see it is:
A degree does not necessarily mean that you are a good programmer. Being a good programmer does not necessarily require a degree. However, when u look at the bio''s of ppl on ''real'' dev teams, most of them have at least a degree in computer science. I think that a degree signifies that you are serious about what you are doing. So serious that you spent $20,000 (i dunno how much exactly) and 2 yrs (again ~) learning about it.

"That''s what I think anyway" - Mr Bean

P.S. I assume that you ARE talking about a programming degree?

---------------

I finally got it all together...
...and then forgot where I put it.
Degree. Not because it "defines" you, but because society today views a degree as some sort of validation of your intellectualism. Thus, though I''ll probably end up doing something really wierd like being a professional driver or cook, I''m getting a BS Computer Science. Go figure.

If your objective is getting into the game development industry, still get a degree. There are principles, practices and theories that casual learning wont expose you to but are part of the curriculum of formalized education.

"University education" to me has become something of an oxymoron...
Get a degree. You will have the feeling of accomplishment after you have that diploma in your hand. Plus you can get experience in college from assignments and group projects. You will be more knowledgeable in all aspects of your major (which i''d guess would be computer science) instead of just focusing on one particular field. Not to mention college can be fun!

I''m not sure about other places, but here in NY most jobs want a college degree, and this isn''t just major corporations, but smaller mom & pop shops too. A degree will help you get interviews for potential employment.

Bottom line: It can''t hurt you to have a degree.

Hitchhiker90
"There''s one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay
"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
quote: Original post by AdmiralBinary
I think that a degree signifies that you are serious about what you are doing. So serious that you spent $20,000 (i dunno how much exactly) and 2 yrs (again ~) learning about it.

For reference, I spend 3.5 yrs and something in the neighborhood of 60 - 70K US on my Bachelor''s degree, not counting the free scholarship money. (I ended up playing about 19K out of my own pocket and in loans). I did go to a somewhat expensive private Uni, though.

Anyways, it was time and money well spent. I definately could have gotten a job without the degree, but my salary level took a pretty good jump with the degree.

Also, remember that the computer field currently has more jobs and qualified workers. This means that it''s easier for people without degrees to compete, since there are plenty of spots around. However, the number of graduating computer sciene majors rises every year, and demand will not outstrip supply indefinately. You don''t _need_ a degree now, but you probably will in a few years.
First of, there is alot more to Computer Science than programming. If you get a university degree, youll probably be exposed to the different programming paradigms, and perhaps even touch upon alternative languages like LISP/Prolog/ML.
And then there is the theoric stuff about algorithms, thats pretty serious math.

Actually alot of the really bright CS professors, cant really program anything themselves, they are strictly theoretic.

Where i go, they only have 3-4 courses that would count as real programming. Alot of the courses are purely theoretic.(and they only teach Java, since they want to avoid "tool" - courses).

Id say get a degree if you want to get anywhere developing software, but if you "just"(notice the "!) want to be a programmer i dont think youll need bsc or msc in computer science.

But then again im not spending money on my education, because i live in Denmark, and so my university education is FREE, you even get almost 4.000kr(7-8 kr approx = 1 $) each month just for studying
So in Denmark, you get paid to go to university? Do you have be Danish to get this? Or just a citizen?

I don''t suppose your lecturers speak english,by any chance?

Dreaming,
Crash,

"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000

"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001
"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001
My suggestion: DONT GET A DEGREE. I got a 4 year computer systems engineering degree ($50k worth), very frustrating to see competing people with no degree get jobs ahead of me because they have real-world experience. As I am sure you are all aware, the IT world is in some disarray, and very few companies are spending the time and money recruiting new graduates, they are snapping up the hordes of experienced people who are finding themselves redundant after the downturn in the e-conomy.

There are enough resources on the net to learn any language. Produce an impressive demo, and that will be more testiment to your skills than 2 letters after your name.
Get the degree.

Bottom line is that it will serve you well. Just choose a University that is appropriate to your means. Don''t spend 80k on a BS if you can''t afford it. You can make the most of any education.

The reality is that Universities have reputations and alumni that provide the value above the education. Having a degree can sometimes mean connection with Alumni for job interviews. A degree from Harvard will probably get you in the door for just about any job you pick, just based on the name. Worton School of business in Philly can mean a guaranteed job after completion of your Business Masters just based on reputation.

Also, most Universities teach beyond just the comp sci degree. It''s not quantifiable, but I certainly feel better adapted for the real world since I attended a Liberal Arts College. My background included Science, English, Business and Computers. I often feel that the exposure I had at College gives me a solid frame of reference to learn and understand a much wider array of topics.

Not having a degree doesn''t mean you''ll have problems finding a job, but having a degree can mean an edge in job interviews. I intend to complete my Masters, not because it will give me more knowledge on computers (I teach myself most of what i Know, like most other comp geeks), but because the Masters will easily pay for itself with increase salaries and increased opportunities for advancement and development.

R.
"So in Denmark, you get paid to go to university? Do you have be Danish to get this? Or just a citizen?
I don''t suppose your lecturers speak english,by any chance?"

Hehe Yes you do get paid to study(not only at the university, most other educations are covered by this). The lectures arent in english, but 95% of the computer science courses use english books, and usually code is made with english style variable names etc. Youd probably we welcome if you immigrated to Denmark(is the emmi- or immigrated?)
The flipside of this thing is that the tax rate in Denmark is somewhere around 40-50%

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement