🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Gamedev company in Germany

Started by
5 comments, last by Hodgman 6 years, 6 months ago

Hi guys! I've got a very specific question and my only hope is to find an answer at this forum.

My husband and me want to found a small independent gamedev company in Germany and get a residence permit for living and working in this country.

But does Germany need more gamedev companies? Because if i want to get a visa i should prove that the company will be helpful for German economics (in other case i will not get the visa). How to prove it, what should i do? And where can i find some information about this?

Thank you very much for reading! Waiting for answers.

Sorry for my mistakes, i'm not native speaker.

Advertisement

Your first step needs to be to collect info on German game developers. Use gamedevmap to begin your info gathering.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

7 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

Your first step needs to be to collect info on German game developers. Use gamedevmap to begin your info gathering.

Thanks! I've already discovered 37 gamedev companies in Berlin(at gamedevmap, yep!) and... I don't know how to understand this quantity. Is it very much or isn't it enough for the market.

But as far as i know, Berlin is becoming the new IT-capital of the Europe, so maybe it needs more gamedev companies :D

How do you think?

You need to research each company to identify which ones you'll really be competing with. (They make the same kind of games you do, they employ the same number of people you will, they support the same platforms as you, etc.) And don't stop with Berlin.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I don't suppose you already have an independent game development company? I don't know about their process but I suspect that if you can show you have a good track record for providing stable employment and give projections for how many locals you intend on employing, it might show how you can "be helpful for German economics", as you say.

3 hours ago, Pivinakate said:

I've already discovered 37 gamedev companies in Berlin(at gamedevmap, yep!) and... I don't know how to understand this quantity. Is it very much or isn't it enough for the market.

Games are an export product - the market is global. You make the game in Germany, but then you sell it all across the globe. You bring a lot of US$ into the EU and into Germany. 

In that sense, it doesn't matter how many other companies there are in your city. Look up some statistics on how much money these companies are contributing to international trade, and then point out that you will be doing the same thing.

In my country (Australia), there are government departments who's entire job is to assist companies who are exporting goods. They have awards nights where they celebrate big exporters -- and this quite often includes successful game developers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement