🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D software neutral book

Started by
14 comments, last by katastrophic88 6 years, 6 months ago

Hello everyone.

I have [digital] modeling from Vaughan, dance music manual from Snowman, is it there anything similar for 2D graphics?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bye, Ivano.

Advertisement
9 hours ago, potente said:

I have [digital] modeling from Vaughan, dance music manual from Snowman, is it there anything similar for 2D graphics?

What doe these words mean, are you looking for books on 2D graphics?

Please elaborate on what it is you want to do so we can help you.

Yes, I'm looking for a 2d graphics book, but it has to be software neutral: I should use it with either photoshop, gimp, krita, paint.net, etc.

https://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Books and videos.

He works in Photoshop but explains every thing in details so you can use it in any software.

Thanks, but it's too fragmented.

I'd like to buy 1 book, not 10s.

3 hours ago, potente said:

I'd like to buy 1 book, not 10s.

That would be one huge book.

You could start by just watching the videos on that site, they are free to watch. You can then support the artist by buying his books.

Can you tell me exactly what your looking for? That way I could help you find a book covering only that small part of art.

For example do you want digital painting? 2D Animation? Sketching?

Maybe if you could link a image of the art quality you want I can help you narrow your search down.

In the end if you want to be a artist you would have to learn everything that CtrlPaint teaches and lots more. His tutorials are among the best, he teaches a lot of the things art schools teach.

I'm mainly interested in tiles/spreadsheets. anything old school 

But, if you see the Vaughan book, there are described techniques which can be used in almost any 3d modeling application. 

If you see the Snoman one, it describes common music production techniques, which can be used with almost any digital audio workstation. 

Now, the book I'm looking for should share the same approach: show common 2d graphics techniques, which can be used with almost any software. 

14 hours ago, potente said:

I'm mainly interested in tiles/spreadsheets. anything old school

This is art implementation. I don't think anyone made a book focused on such a small part. Look for tutorials online.

Tile sheets is a engine thing. Depending on what engine you use it will have it's own way of making tiles.

Look for books on making 2D games.

14 hours ago, potente said:

But, if you see the Vaughan book, there are described techniques which can be used in almost any 3d modeling application. 

That is how art works. No matter what pencil you use the concept remains the same. Learning any 2D art tutorial will teach you art in general.

Drawing a object in Gimp is the same as drawing a object  in krita or Photoshop. True one will have brushes and blending modes the other doesn't but that is such a small thing that it almost doesn't matter.

Each software has it's own little tools for you to use. Learning those tools you need books/tutorials to learn; everything else is just art in general.

In other words, learning how to make art in one software will teach you how to make it in a other software.

Ok, now it's clear.

At least, if I understood, I have to learn how to draw/paint rather than learning what different raster graphics editors share.

Then, I have to transpose to any editor.

If this is right, what's the best digital painting book?

5 hours ago, potente said:

At least, if I understood, I have to learn how to draw/paint rather than learning what different raster graphics editors share.

Yup. The different would be small things:

PhVSGi.thumb.png.c1637992f6accac882a26fe2bac183aa.png

The left is Photoshop and the right is Gimp. The only difference is the brush that was used.

Photoshop allowed me to make the exact brush I needed fast, but with gimp I would have had to make it manually so I just used the leaf brush. Both has there good parts, like the light in the Gimp one looks more energetic.

That is the largest advantage Photoshop provides. It makes things convenient where with Gimp and Krita you have to do things manually.

Then, I have to transpose to any editor.

Think of it like this:

In 3D modeling you learn to extrude and add loops. In 2D you draw lines and blend colors. The buttons will change but not the concept.

If this is right, what's the best digital painting book?

That is the thing. There isn't one book or just some thing to learn. Like how following the 3D book you have isn't going to teach you even a fraction of what 3D modeling is.

Go to amazon, then type "beginners guide to digital painting book". All the Amazon top rated books are good.

Among the list should be: Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner this one is a multi media one. As in it is not only digital painting. It's as good a place to start as any.

https://www.ctrlpaint.com  I provided is among the top websites for learning 2D. 

https://www.deviantart.com is a good place to see works of others and find quick tutorials.

http://polycount.com is a place for artist to share knowledge. It's 3D and 2D because as you advance as a 3D artist you will step into the realm of 2D.

All art is one concept. Learning any part will teach you about others. Those spheres for example use concepts I learned as a 3D artist to create realistic materials.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement