🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

General questions about Testing

Started by
13 comments, last by frob 6 years, 6 months ago

You need to get out of that abusive situation.  Nothing tells management they're doing a bad job more than being unable to keep talent.

Seriously, it's not worth it.  Life's too short for that stuff.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Advertisement
20 hours ago, Bregma said:

You need to get out of that abusive situation.  Nothing tells management they're doing a bad job more than being unable to keep talent.

Seriously, it's not worth it.  Life's too short for that stuff.

What do you mean by that?

Believe me I do want to quit but my parents just want me to keep working on this so that they think that I can learn a lot of things here when in reality, its the opposite.

I already found other companies but my dad wants to investigate on those companies that I found and until then, I'm suppose to wait.

Agreed with Bregma. If you have talked about it with your boss, then it is time to update the resume and look for a job while doing your best to keep up with the job. It is far easier to find a new job while you are still employed somewhere, even if the job is bad.  

From your post, be sure you ask potential employers for a morning interview.  ;-)

For the line "nothing tells management they're doing a bad job more than being unable to keep talent", turnover is a very important metric for companies.

Turnover is expensive.  There is both the cost of hiring and the cost of losing experience.

The exact cost varies but it can be expensive for a company to hire someone. I've heard reports that the total amount spent in searching for people, posting, interviewing, hiring, equipping, and going through paperwork, can cost $50K or more for a game programmer. If relocation costs are paid the cost can go up again. 

Losing someone means losing knowledge and experience.  If they were the go-to person then somebody else needs to learn the role. That may cost tens of hours or hundreds of hours, meaning thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. Mistakes made while learning the task can be costly.  For a team of 20 people, having the build broken for a while can mean 20 people operating at much-reduced speed, costing a small fortune in reduced productivity.

The costs are less for losing someone in less skilled positions, but they costs still exists.  I imagine the cost to replace a single QA tester is on the order of several thousand dollars for the job search and hiring, perhaps $10K. The loss of knowledge depends on the unique skills of the tester, but they can range from nearly non-existent to fairly severe.

When turnover is very low it is a good sign that the company is doing things right.  When turnover is high, not only is it very expensive to the company it is also a clear sign that people are abandoning ship, likely before it sinks or smashes into an iceberg. Company owners who are paying attention will start having alarm bells ringing when workers are leaving.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement