🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advice before getting into game development industry?

Started by
3 comments, last by GeneralJist 6 years, 7 months ago

Hello game developers around the world,

I'm new to gaming industry (in making game, of course), can you help me getting started. What do I need to learn (the basics) fundamentals before getting into game development industry, even the ones that sound too basic to be included. If you have viewed my earlier post (what game engine should a beginner try first?), you probably think "why is this idiot haven't move on from basic questions", but I just want to take a step back, trying to know all the fundamentals lessons I might miss. I think knowing game engine is good and deciding which one to try first is a good start for beginners but I want to know some fundamentals lessons that can be learn before even using a game engine or even making a game.

One more question, which computer language that is very suitable for making games in general or to broaden things up, what are all the computer languages that most game developers use for making their games? 

Thank you

I'm a student who is starting to learn into game development industry , please be patient with me if I ask you anything anything

Advertisement
3 hours ago, TobyTheRandom said:

What do I need to learn (the basics) fundamentals before getting into game development industry

That depends on what kind of game job you want to get. I wrote an article about what you need to learn: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson34.htm

3 hours ago, TobyTheRandom said:

which computer language that is very suitable

Are you saying that you want to be a programmer? Not a game designer or producer or artist, or to work in audio or testing?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

4 hours ago, TobyTheRandom said:

One more question, which computer language that is very suitable for making games in general or to broaden things up

There is no best engine, tool, programming language. There is more suitable engine, tool, programming language.

Each engine, tool or language has it's own upsides and downsides. If they didn't there would have only been one as every user adapted it.

You are better off asking "what would would be recommended for doing X type game with Z and Y features?" and even then all you will get is a subjective answer.

So choose what ever tools you want, it doesn't matter much. What matters more is that you choose.

C++, C# , Java, Python. These are the most popular at the moment, they all work fundamentally the same and learning any one will make the others easy.

From your questions it reads like you are looking for a starting point. There isn't one.

Game development is a vast ocean, with no land in sight. Some parts are deep and others are shallow because your standing on jagged rocks.

There is no start, there is no end. All of the concepts intermix, things you learn to move objects, you later use to simulate light. The ways you learn to load objects in you latter use to store data. It's a never ending cycle you keep going back to old things to learn new things about them.

There isn't a best place to start just a best time, that time is now.

So, It sounds like your asking us what your getting into, before you get into it.

The question you should be asking yourself isn't what is the best language or engine or what do you need to know going in.

You should be asking yourself why you want to do game development.

There are a plethora of  roles and things that you can learn, each contingent on what role you ultimately find yourself doing. 

It all depends on what you want to accomplish, and how long you are willing and able to dedicate to it.

No one has the patience or time to tell you every language, engine, or tool that can be possibly used.

Each has it''s pros and cons, each has it's time and place.

If your looking at where to start, start with a GDD (game design Document), see if you can put down on paper all the plans and Ideas you have for making a specific game in an organized way.

If however your also asking about life lessons, it's not possible for anyone to tell you every lesson that you will ever need to know.  You will learn a lot of them by simply going through the process.

How are we to know what lessons apply to your situation before you have started?

I'm getting the strong  feeling you have a fear of failure mentality, hence your approach,  

Figure out what your specialty could be, and go from there.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement