🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which MSVC should I get

Started by
3 comments, last by y2rr 22 years, 7 months ago
I can''t decide which edition of Microsoft Visual C++ I should get, Standard Edition or Professional Edition. I have a little C++ experience.
Advertisement
i''m not sure if they still do this, but there should be a "learning edition" of MSVC which is the standard edition plus a cool tutorial CD.

if you cant find that, get standard edition and a good book

you only need professional if you want to use tools such as profiling and... umm... well, that''s it really . of course, if you have the money to get prof then do so, it will save you a costly upgrade in the future.

this might interest you: Visual Studio 6 Student License. This offer is only valid for UK residents only - you didnt enter your country in your profile.

hope it helps
quote: Original post by y2rr
I can''t decide which edition of Microsoft Visual C++ I should get, Standard Edition or Professional Edition. I have a little C++ experience.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/prodinfo/datasheet/feature.asp

there you can find more info about how there different each others.

You should think why you need compiler and IDE and choose.
If you only want to learn more about programming , some free compiler might be better for you.
standard is all you need, really.
-Dan
Why not Introductory? The only difference I''ve found so far is a short message saying that it can be distributed, blah blah. It only costs like $40 I think, too.
Peon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement