🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How To Make a Video Game Press Kit?

Started by
4 comments, last by Derek Lawrence 6 years, 8 months ago

I was researching marketing strategies employed by the gaming industry when I came across something called a "press kit". If anyone on this forum has experience with them, could you enlighten me on a few questions? First off, should my press kit be a physical kit, digital kit, or both? Second, should a press kit be accessible to everyone (via an easily findable url) or should I only send a press kit to an intended recipient? As always I appreciate any replies, and you guys are awesome.

Advertisement

If you put the effort into making one there's not much point in hiding it; you may as well make a public link to it on your site.

It should be digital. Unless maybe you're meeting someone in person, in which case you could give them a single page print that also includes a link to the digital files. 

What constitutes "the press" is quite different to what it was a decade ago to... e.g. Getting covered by a major streamer is about the best thing that can happen, and getting covered by a physical magazine is nearly useless... You want to make it as easy as possible for these people to get their hands on a few well written paragraphs and high quality screenshots and videos. 

If you haven't come across it, lots of people use http://dopresskit.com to help create clear/clean press kits.

Sweet! Thanks for clearing up some confusion for me. I've read countless articles about them, they were just kinda vague about whether they should be digital or physical.

Moving this topic to the Business/Law forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Just going to throw this here. A great site for all marketing things to do with games.

http://www.pixelprospector.com/contents-and-examples-of-press-kits/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement