🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Mobile Game Studio XP = "lndustry"?

Started by
5 comments, last by 0r0d 6 years, 7 months ago

ls work experience at free-to-play / freemium mobile game studios considered "industry experience"? i.e. is it transferrable to game studios like indies and AAAs

Also wondering if the genre/quality of the product matters (in terms of how "valuable" the experience is). For example, 1 mobile studio that's looking at me produces what is essentially interactive stories that cater to the Twilight / 50 Shades of Grey Audience. Another mobile studio looking at me produces a variety of F2P games

l should note that my dream job is Game Writer, as in writing the story.

Advertisement
2 minutes ago, BVAaron said:

ls work experience at free-to-play / freemium mobile game studios considered "industry experience"?

Mobile market is a huge part of the video game industry right now (biggest maybe?), so I'd say yeah, it is.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

1 hour ago, BVAaron said:

ls work experience at free-to-play / freemium mobile game studios considered "industry experience"? i.e. is it transferrable to game studios like indies and AAAs

Any work experience is good, whats bad is having large time periods with no work experience.

1 hour ago, BVAaron said:

Also wondering if the genre/quality of the product matters (in terms of how "valuable" the experience is).

This depends where your aiming to work at. If you worked on a mobile game that uses a payment gateway you would have a higher chance of finding work with a larger studio that also use a payment gateway.

So the more the games you work on is similar to the work you want to do the better your chances are of getting hired.

3 hours ago, BVAaron said:

ls work experience at free-to-play / freemium mobile game studios considered "industry experience"?

What industry do you think mobile games are in? (Hint: the game industry.)

i.e. is it transferrable to game studios like indies

What kind of games do you think most indies make? (Hint: mobile games.)

and AAAs

OK, maybe not that. (Working in mobile doesn't directly translate to AAA console/PC game jobs.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I wouldn't be surprised if the mobile portion of the games industry is actually bigger than console+PC combined. 

As above, most indies that I know make mobile games rather than Console/PC. 

The definition of AAA is pretty loose. These days it pretty much means that you spent over $10M on your game... Games like Clash of Clans definitely fit into that category despite looking a whole lot simpler than a console / pc game! 

On 10/13/2017 at 5:55 PM, BVAaron said:

Also wondering if the genre/quality of the product matters (in terms of how "valuable" the experience is).

Studios will look for people with experience similar to the job they're hiring for.  So if a studio is working on AAA games, then of course AAA experience will be much better than small indie experience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement