🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Welcome to the GameDev Challenges Forum

Started by
62 comments, last by penguinbyebye 6 years, 7 months ago

Agreed on that.

2 hours ago, Alpha_ProgDes said:

Making a game like this wouldn't be a bad challenge sometime down the line.

Yeah. Tbh, I would add even graphics. The reason a lot of people don't finish games is because they have too much freedom to choose and they end up not making anything. I imagine that people joining know at least the basics on how to make a game, but fall on that problem. A challenge would be a nice way to keep everyone focused on the task.

Advertisement

For things like setting up libraries, getting a sprite on the screen, handling input, I don't think there should be challenges for that. Those are tutorial-level issues. I don't want to get into a space where we have Challenges on how to download and install a library.

If we're having Challenges they should be to:

• alter or complete already existing code
  • create a game based on a theme
  • use a particular algorithm in the game
  • create a game based on some technical specifications
  • complete the 10 games on my list (shameless plug of link in signature)

Thoughts?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Completely agree.

Alright, we're going to get this started officially. You can submit your challenges.

These are the current rules for the forum and the submission process. These can (and will) change - so if you think something needs to change then speak up.

Challenges come in the form of two topics: a Challenge topic that defines the rules of the Challenge, and a Challenge Discussion topic that may include discussion and submissions.

Any GameDev.net member can submit a GameDev Challenge. To submit your challenge to the community:

1. Create a new Topic in the GameDev Challenge forum
  2. Moderators will review the challenge and may ask for edits
  3. Moderators will approve the challenge, pin it
  4. Moderators will create the Challenge discussion topic and pin it
  5. Challenge will be live

Challenge submissions must include:

• Requirements - these may include game design, art, code, or other requirements that define the challenge
  • Submission process - how does a challenge entrant submit their challenge?
  • Duration - how long do you want this challenge to last? Moderators may alter this.

It is expected that the Challenge submitter will be available to organize and execute the Challenge when their Challenge is listed.

I'm getting a lot of longer-term ideas to better support GameDev Challenges beyond the forum, and I really appreciate the discussion thus far. I'm also looking into achievements/awards. A few ideas there but want to think it through since I'd also like to use them for other parts of the site.

But for now, this forum will work to get you guys going on this cool idea. In the interim if you need anything specific from the site to make these better or something isn't working well then please let me know either through this thread or DM.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Any thoughts on judging, responsibilities, or generally what's expected from a person that posts a challenge? It should be obvious that the one submitting the challenge would reply back to anyone who makes a submission but life happens, time passes, and things get neglected when the novelty wears off.

edit:

Sorry, just noticed that Khawk already answered that.

@kseh unless anyone has objections it should very similar to what's expected of the WoA judges.

I think it should be obvious that posting entries for platforms less available means that not everyone will be able to play (mobile in general, or exclusively for Linux/Mac/BSD).

11 minutes ago, kseh said:

Any thoughts on judging, responsibilities, or generally what's expected from a person that posts a challenge? It should be obvious that the one submitting the challenge would reply back to anyone who makes a submission but life happens, time passes, and things get neglected when the novelty wears off.

Will there be a judging? I thought the 'competition' aspect was discarded. Also, since there will be a discussion thread for every challenge, anyone can comment and give feedback on your entry, not just the challenge opener.

What's our view about game engines?

There should be a specific indication in a challenge if game engine use is allowed or disallowed?

The reason I bring this up is because, if begginners participate together in the same challenge real time then it could be pretty frustrating  for one to see the game engine user already finished his project while he is still trying to get the game loop right, I think this could even end up skewing the choice of tools in favor of a game engine most of the time, just in order to get it done as quickly as the others ( that are already using a engine).

Having a game engine is clearly a huge advantadge over "write it all yourself", so I kind of lean more toward banning them just to keep the "challenge ground" leveled. 

But maybe for some of the challenges the game engine usage may end up being allowed and irrelevant, like in the "implement X alghoritm" , or maybe there could be Game Engine specific challenges that require those.

So basically I'm advocating to not mix "code it from scratch" and "do it in a game engine" inside of the same real-time challenge. What do you guys think? :)

Depends on the challenge. If the challenge wants to be specific it definitely has option to do so. But I wouldn't make it mandatory that they can't mix.

5 minutes ago, Alpha_ProgDes said:

Depends on the challenge. If the challenge wants to be specific it definitely has option to do so. But I wouldn't make it mandatory that they can't mix.

I agreed, I've confused myself even after I wrote:

But maybe for some of the challenges the game engine usage may end up being allowed and irrelevant,

:P

So yeah, I agree with you it depends on the challenge, what I was thinking was to not mix them in the same "Make X Game" challenge.

Well, probably it all comes down to first establish the point of a challenge. If it is a time challenge of the type "make it as fast as you can" then game engine usage makes the most sense, if it is a learning challenge (which I think are the only one worth having) then is bad because prevent the begginner the exposure to the things he is supposed to be learning... :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement