🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help!!!!!(please)

Started by
4 comments, last by borisnico 22 years, 7 months ago
I''ve been trying to start programming games for about 3 months, but all i''ve managed to do is a tetris clone text-mode and then glut/OpenGL. I''m trying to move on to a pong clone(arkanoid) or something like that but I haven''t found the right tutorials. If someone could help me I would be very thankful.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by borisnico
I''ve been trying to start programming games for about 3 months, but all i''ve managed to do is a tetris clone text-mode and then glut/OpenGL. I''m trying to move on to a pong clone(arkanoid) or something like that but I haven''t found the right tutorials.
If someone could help me I would be very thankful.

if you managed to write a tetris clone using opengl, now you wanna make pong.... well what you you need a tutorial for?

pong: 2 paddles, 1 ball. move the ball, move the paddles, add some collision detection..... you got yourself a pong game!

theres no real need for a tutorial for pong if you know the basics of c/c++ and opengl. just apply what you know.

All you need to know for a pong game aside from common sense is that, when the ball hits a horizontal surface, you negate the vertical component of the ball''s velocity vector, and if it hits a vertical surface, you negate the horizontal component of the velocity vector.
they are right you know
pong is very simple
just start with a ball that bounces on the screen,
when you did that make it so that when the ball hits the bottom it''s game over
after that create a paddle on the bottom that you can move
after that when the ball hits the paddle make it bounce like it should bounce when it hits the bottom (like in the very beginning)
then create a block randomly on the screen and when the ball hits the block it should dissapear, reappear at a random place AND the ball should bounce off right

after that, well just make more blocks and you''re off

that''s how I used to created one (in DarkBasic)
I get it, but my tetris game is very different from that: i used a 10*20 matrix filled whith 1''s and 0''s and i painted the 1''s green and the 0''s black. And i mive those numbers, it sounds silly but it works very fine. But there''s a long way from that to a pong.
That''s why i think i need a tutorial.
what do you mean thats a long way from pong? when pong was first created they did not even use rom chips to store code sicne there was NO code at all. completely in hardware the game was done.

you on the other hand have tons and tons of cpu power and can easily make an unoptimized version of the game. the problem is you are not trying to think about what goes on in the game (i am guessing you "made" tetris using a tutorial with source code if not you shoudl have no problem with this just work at it).

do realzie arkonoid is just like tetris (in a design sense). you have a group of blocks on a field. (a la the pieces in tetris except they dont move at all) and when struck by a ball they disappear (a la line completion except you only destry the block touched).

the only difficult part is accurate collision and physics, but at first you dont need to go super accurate instead go for the simple direct reflect. then work form there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement